Home Sports Talk
Options

**New Sentence-an Old Game** A DoubleDragon/Hydrant/thisistheshow production

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

In another thread, I mentioned that something DD wrote ("mother nature can be such bums") reminded me of one of those sentences that has perhaps never been written or said before. Hydrant said that reminded him of the old game where people try to come up with such sentences and that it would be a good thread for the NFL off season. I agreed, and said that I remember there being a rule (when I played this, or was it a dream, lol) that you can't just insert a name... I gave the example that this would not meet the criteria..."thisistheshow was the greatest QB ever". You guys get the point.

So, let's play. If anyone wants to suggest rules or improvements, feel free!!

Comments

• Options

@galaxy27 @perkdog @darin what would be the over under for number of pages this thread goes within one year's time?

• Options
    edited February 25, 2023 8:13PM

OK. I will start.

The only hope is in finding the difference between inception and overly pedantic instruction.

ETA: thanks for the idea hydrant

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

OK. I will start.

The only hope is in finding the difference between inception and overly pedantic instruction.

Nope. 543,895 years ago a Neanderthal ‘player’ approached a Nean hottie with the hopes of getting a date. When he got to her he lost his nerve and in a state of pure panic spewed out those exact words.
    Thanks for playing it was a good try.

• Options

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

OK. I will start.

Nope. 543,895 years ago a Neanderthal ‘player’ approached a Nean hottie with the hopes of getting a date. When he got to her he lost his nerve and in a state of pure panic spewed out those exact words.

No shame in my game. Failure will not send me running. It's all about playing and having fun, so here goes another one...

I know that the reminders are all perfect but physically I'm a mess.

In all seriousness, you are supposed to play like this... I know that the reminders are all perfect but physically I am a mess with the black spoofing of expectations risen up and onto my skin from within and sitting there like dermatic dandelions.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

OK. I will start.

No shame in my game. Failure will not send me running. It's all about playing and having fun, so here goes another one...

In all seriousness, you are supposed to play like this... I know that the reminders are all perfect but physically I am a mess with the black spoofing of expectations risen up and onto my skin from within and sitting there like dermatic dandelions.

There you go, my research couldn’t find that sentence ever being used although it was close. Grok the Cro Magnon once uttered something similar however he finished with “dermatic thorns” as he thought ‘dandelions’ didn’t sound manly enough for a magnon.
    Nice score showman!

• Options

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

OK. I will start.

There you go, my research couldn’t find that sentence ever being used although it was close. Grok the Cro Magnon once uttered something similar however he finished with “dermatic thorns” as he thought ‘dandelions’ didn’t sound manly enough for a magnon.
    Nice score showman!

I like how this thread is coming together, with you as an ace researcher! Way to go, Dman.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2023 10:35PM

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

OK. I will start.

Nice score showman!

I like how this thread is coming together, with you as an ace researcher! Way to go, Dman.

PS... Both Dermatic Dandelions and Dermatic Thorns would make excellent band names. And why does my computer keep underlining dermatic? Is it not a perfectly good word?

eta: Dermatic Dandelions has now made an appearance on my list of my favorite DD's, which is topped by Dee Dee McCall from Hunter, with our own @doubledragon a distant second.

• Options

Whatever my fellow forumites are doing this late Saturday evening, it can't be as much fun as we are having on this thread. Jealousy does not become you...

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another quick story about the "Mother nature can be such bums" sentence. Back in the 90s, I went on a camping trip with my uncle in the mountains of Colorado in the summer, we had this little Coleman brand gas cooker, it was a mini grill type thing and you had to hook up a can of gas to it and you could put a little frying pan on it and cook stuff. So, we had our tents set up and every night around 6 p.m we would cook on the little gas cooker, and just like clock work this raccoon would show up, evidently he could smell the food we were cooking, and he would pop up out of nowhere every evening and hang around our camp looking for a taste of our meal. It was amusing because he was obsessed with us and our food, always looking for a handout. So one day, we decided to move our camp just to see what he would he do, so we moved our camp a good distance away, and sure enough he followed us and continued his campaign of harrassment against us. We could not eat a meal in peace without this raccoon in our face wanting his cut of the action. But that's not the end of it, we left camp one day to go into town and get some stuff, and when we came back to our camp, there was a hole in the side of my tent and Merita bread was strewn everywhere, we knew what had happened, the raccoon had clawed or chewed a hole in my tent and stolen a bag of bread from us and the bag had ripped open and some of the bread had fallen out. This raccoon was ridiculous, I remember one night at 2 a.m. I woke up to the sound of crunching, this raccoon was outside our tents going threw the trash and he had found some leftover chips in a bag and you could hear him crunching on the chips, he was such a bum! But he was hilarious and entertaining, he would eat anything you would give him, I remember he loved those Little Debbie honey buns. And it's funny, raccoons have these little claw-like hands, and they can kind of stand up like a person and he would stand there with a honey bun in between his claws like a person and munch on it, he was hilarious!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2023 4:25AM

See, they can stand and they have these little hands, and they'll eat anything you give them.

• Options

@Hydrant You have 48 hrs to contribute to this thread. If you do not, it will be closed. The ball is in your court. ⏳

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2023 3:36PM

@thisistheshow said:
    @Hydrant You have 48 hrs to contribute to this thread. If you do not, it will be closed. The ball is in your court. ⏳

I'm working on it.....but it's going to be really long......I'm working on it.......In My Mind...

It's about a scientific experiment that I am currently conducting. I'm working on it....In My Mind...
    Be Patient....

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:

I'm working on it.....but it's going to be really long......I'm working on it.......In My Mind...

It's about a scientific experiment that I am currently conducting. I'm working on it....In My Mind...
    Be Patient....

Is that it? I can't tell.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2023 4:54PM

Showboat,..... I would like nothing more than to spend every waking moment of my life glued to the Sports Forum....BUT!,......Right now?,....I'm involved in other issues.... a bit closer to home....... You see, its been raining here non-stop for the last 7 days.....24/7......

WATER EVERYWHERE!!!!
    I can't get off the ranch!
    But!!!
    I prepared in advance...

Corned Beef Hash Burritos!
    What Else Does a Man Need?
    Except This.....

I stocked up on that too!!!
    I knew it was coming!
    I'm prepared!

And,.....If things go really bad?

I have Four!!!!!

What I'm most concerned about is that there is 9' of snow on the mountain behind me....

I'm worried about an avalanche!...
    So, I told The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ to keep her voice down...
    Loud noises cause avalanches!!!!
    There is only one thing that I left out of my survival plan..

No Dog!
    What Was I Thinking?

Oh, And One More Thing.......
    Don't You All Think That Elizabeth Taylor
    Was One HOT BABE?

Something To Keep Me Warm At Night..
    Damn!, It's Cold Around Here!!!!!!!!

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Showboat,..... I would like nothing more than to spend every waking moment of my life pursuing the Sports Forum....BUT!,......Right now?,....I'm involved in other issues.... a bit closer to home....... You see, its been raining here non-stop for the last 7 days.....24/7......

Stay safe. I sense a tone. Don't be snarky.