Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who likes Angels??

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please post any images of Angels on a coin or medal you might have, here's one of my favorites.

Maywood.

HK-294/Brass 35mm/South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition/1901-1902, held in Charleston, SC.

Comments

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2023 9:42PM

Back in the day, I actually met Jaclyn Smith of the original Charlie's Angels. She did an interview with the morning news anchor about her then-new (circa 1985) clothing line, the Jaclyn Smith collection, available at K-Mart. Nice lady. I found her very likable. That's all I have for this thread. Nice angels everyone.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2023 9:42PM

I haven't found any info on this one. I've owned it for a long time now. Any of the token/medal guys know anything about it? @Zoins maybe?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:

I haven't found any info on this one. I've owned it for a long time now. Any of the token/medal guys know anything about it? @Zoins maybe?

Friedrich I, King of Prussia, 200th anniversary of his coronation.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:

Someone else will undoubtedly be able to provide more info, but here is a start.

As your medal says "Godet", it appears to be the larger version, made of a tin alloy.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread made me think "Where Angel's Go, Trouble Follows".
    Groovy, Daddy O.
    Hey, i think Walt Disney's image of an angel gave us Tinkerbell !
    True or Knot ?
    I wood like to think true.

• Options

@JBK Thanks I do know that much. I was looking more for info like catalog number, how many were made etc.

@MetroD Its silver and definitely large its 53mm and about 1/4 inch thick.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    This thread made me think "Where Angel's Go, Trouble Follows".
    Groovy, Daddy O.
    Hey, i think Walt Disney's image of an angel gave us Tinkerbell !
    True or Knot ?
    I wood like to think true.

Tinkerbell was a fairy rather than an angel which are two different things. :)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a pic but the reverse of the Texas commemorative half dollar shows an angel with her arm around the Alamo where many courageous Texans died during the war for Texas independence.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    @JBK Thanks I do know that much. I was looking more for info like catalog number, how many were made etc.

@MetroD Its silver and definitely large its 53mm and about 1/4 inch thick.

Second attempt. Link

• Options
    edited February 27, 2023 2:47PM

@MetroD Thats the one. Is there a catalog number or description of how many were made?
    Edit I see a description now. Its Marienburg 7174. Still no idea on how many may have been made. Is Marienburg a well known book?

Thanks by the way. 😀

• Options
    edited February 27, 2023 4:12PM

@gumby1234 said:
    @MetroD Thats the one. Is there a catalog number or description of how many were made?
    Edit I see a description now. Its Marienburg 7174. Still no idea on how many may have been made. Is Marienburg a well known book?

Thanks by the way. 😀

:)

Not really my area, so I am unable to help with the Marienburg reference.

FWIW, it shows up a lot in the NGC census for 'Germany - Miscellaneous Medals'. Link

Hopefully someone more knowledgable will post an answer.

Edited to Add:
    I do NOT use the NGC website very often. That said, I could only find ONE census entry that included "Marienburg - 7174".
    Link

Not quite sure I fully understand the entry. The slab label clearly indicates "silver". However, the census category is "TIN", as opposed to "SILVER", and the census description indicates "silvered".

• Options

@MetroD i don't understand that either. Its definitely silver. 61.1 grams

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a coin I picked up for below melt at a miniscule LCS a few years back:

• Options
    edited March 14, 2023 9:14AM

@gumby1234 said:
    [...]
    Is Marienburg a well known book?
    [...]

I did a little more investigating.

I think that "Marienburg" is a multi-volume reference titled "Münzen- und Medaillen-Sammlung in der Marienburg".

7174 appears to be described in Band IV. See 'file page #155/book page #141'.

The reference seems to confirm the specifications you posted (i.e., composition, mass, and diameter). Unfortunately, it does not contain the production number you were seeking.

Disclaimer - My German is 'rusty'. I certainly could have misunderstood, or even missed something.

Edited to Add:
    "Marienburg" appears on an NGC label. So, I contacted them, and inquired about the underlying reference.

NGC confirms it is: "Die Münzen- und Medaillen-Sammlung in der Marienburg" by Emil Bahrfeldt.
    They also provided this overview of the multi-"part" reference.

• Options

@MetroD Thanks. My German is non existent.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m into this one well under melt also bought here and you just have to hold them long enough. I would have sold it but can’t get myself to sell a Lucky Angel. I need all the luck I can get. My pictures probably won’t convince you but this is the nicest one I’ve seen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file