Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Chinese 'Cash' Coins

Been going through a pile of these recently, and I've got most of them figured out thanks to this site - https://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm, and this pdf - https://www.nms.ac.uk/media/1161122/an-introduction-and-identification-guide-to-chinese-qing-dynasty-coins-qin-cao.pdf

But.. there are a few I'm stuck on. Anyone know who these two emperors/rulers are?

And this one is Hsuan Tsung/Tao-Kuang, 1821-1850, but which mint is that?

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2023 5:53PM

You won't find the top two coins in "Chinese cash coins" guides, because these two aren't Chinese.

Top: Korea. It should have mintmark and probably furnace-number marks on the other side.

Middle: Japan. Known in Japanese as "Kanei Tsuho", made with this same design from the mid-1600s to the end of the Shogunate.

Bottom: that mintmark is Dongchuan mint, Yunnan province. Which fits with the very crude, unfinished-looking style.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

You're a God among men.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found the Calgary Coin site useful. For a more detailed overview, I would recommend David Jen's Chinese Cash: Identification and Price Guide.
    The price guide is hopelessly outdated, but the volume is a very good primer, otherwise.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha said:
    I have found the Calgary Coin site useful. For a more detailed overview, I would recommend David Jen's Chinese Cash: Identification and Price Guide.

I've used both and I find the Calgary Coin website much easier for identification for someone who can't read the characters on the coin as the website is set up in an "If this, click to go here. If that, click to go there" format instead of just turning pages looking for a matching coin.