Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay Returns with Authenticity Guarantee

Yankeefan320Yankeefan320 Posts: 160 ✭✭
edited February 22, 2023 3:57PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

From eBay website:

“If a buyer wants to return an authenticated item, your return policy as stated in the listing will apply. Authenticated items are covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee, assuming all other eligibility criteria are met. For full details, read our eBay Money Back Guarantee policy.

When returning an item, the buyer will send it back to the authenticators who will check that the item is still in the same condition and has all relevant accessories. Once the item has been re-authenticated, it will be returned to you and the buyer's refund will be processed.”

So what happens if a Buyer returns an item to the Authenticator and it’s missing accessories or the card has been switched or something devious is done? Does eBay immediately release the money which the Buyer paid to the Seller? I see all kinds of nightmares with this new process and delays with the Seller getting his or her money in a timely manner!

Comments

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2023 4:24PM

There is no money to release, the seller already has the money in this situation and the buyer would rightfully be denied the return request and will have paid for the item.

Also, I have sold multiple cards that went through the authentication process. It took no longer for me to get the money than if there was no process (i.e. it was immediate). I am a big fan of the process both as a seller and a buyer.

• Options
    Yankeefan320Yankeefan320 Posts: 160 ✭✭
    edited February 22, 2023 4:51PM

@detroitfan2 said:
    There is no money to release, the seller already has the money in this situation and the buyer would rightfully be denied the return request and will have paid for the item.

Also, I have sold multiple cards that went through the authentication process. It took no longer for me to get the money than if there was no process (i.e. it was immediate). I am a big fan of the process both as a seller and a buyer.

I thought that eBay puts a hold on money to make sure that the Buyer is satisfied just like when it is mailed until it is delivered confirmed by Tracking?

If the Seller “already has the money” and the Buyer wants a refund but the Seller refuses to give the money back then what?

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

@detroitfan2 said:

If the Seller “already has the money” and the Buyer wants a refund but the **Seller refuses to give the money back then what? **

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/29/former-ebay-executives-given-jail-time-for-cyberstalking-scheme.html

That is merely something that came to light. They were sloppy and got caught. Type of iceberg stuff of what they are capable.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

@detroitfan2 said:

I thought that eBay puts a hold on money to make sure that the Buyer is satisfied just like when it is mailed until it is delivered confirmed by Tracking?

If the Seller “already has the money” and the Buyer wants a refund but the Seller refuses to give the money back then what?

You have a lot of misconceptions about how ebay works. Ebay doesn't hold money until items are delivered or even shipped for that matter. And the seller cannot refuse a refund if ebay sides with the buyer, ebay will automatically grab funds from the seller's account.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@detroitfan2 said:

If the Seller “already has the money” and the Buyer wants a refund but the **Seller refuses to give the money back then what? **

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/29/former-ebay-executives-given-jail-time-for-cyberstalking-scheme.html

That is merely something that came to light. They were sloppy and got caught. Type of iceberg stuff of what they are capable.

That is very bad but what does that have to do with the new rules as a Seller I am trying to understand after haven’t sold anything on eBay in more than 10 years?

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

That is very bad but what does that have to do with the new rules as a Seller I am trying to understand after haven’t sold anything on eBay in more than 10 years?

If you have a $100,000 card to sell, I wouldn't sell it on eBay, I'd send it to an auction house and they will cut you a check. Even give you part of the buyer's premium probably.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

If you have a $100,000 card to sell, I wouldn't sell it on eBay, I'd send it to an auction house and they will cut you a check. Even give you part of the buyer's premium probably.

Thanks! Good idea.