Home Sports Talk
Options

Marshawn Lynch wanted a piece of Pete Carroll

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marshawn Lynch recently talked about the infamous goal line play in the Patriots Super Bowl and admitted that he was mad about the play call that cost them the game, he said it the blew the Seahawks chance at becoming a dynasty.

Marshawn Lynch was ‘boiling’ after Super Bowl INT, says Seahawks blew chance at a dynasty

Marshawn Lynch may have been “laughing” at Pete Carroll after the Seattle Seahawks lost Super Bowl XLIX against the New England Patriots. But he was also “boiling” that the team had blown a chance to start a dynastic.

The former star running back appeared on this week’s episode of the “I AM ATHLETE” podcast and discussed life after football and mental health among former players. But before long, the topic moved to the Seahawks’ famous decision to pass the ball instead of handing it off to Lynch at the goal line.

“We’re at the peak of our careers, with the opportunity to go ahead and start a dynasty-type (expletive) and then we fumble the bag on the 2-yard line,” Lynch said about the play.

The play before, Lynch had carried the ball four yards, setting Seattle up with 2nd-and-goal from the 1-yard line with 20 seconds left, trailing 28-24. Since Seattle had a timeout left, the common thought was that the offense would simply hand the ball to “Beast Mode” to punch it in for a game-winning score. Instead, Russell Wilson dropped back to pass and was picked off by then-unknown rookie Malcolm Butler.

After the game, Lynch was heated about the loss and the decision. Previously, Lynch has said that he was “laughing” at Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on the sidelines for the decision to throw the ball. Lynch says that, even if running the ball didn’t work, they at least wouldn’t have second-guessed themselves.

“When it comes to the play call, and that was the type of situation. Yeah, I’m hot as (expletive). I’m boiling. The only thing I can do is think, ‘I need to get in his face, for I’m about to laugh at (him) so hard.’ I know for a fact, if we run that ball four times and we don’t score, everybody on our team, from the front office to the janitors will say, ‘Well, (expletive), yup, well we deserve to lose that (expletive).”

So, what does Lynch think of the call now?

“At the end of the day, it’s a football play,” Lynch said.

Co-host LenDale White was skeptical of that response. He pressed Lynch on whether he thinks he should have gotten the ball?

“Yeah, for sure. For (expletive) sure,” Lynch said. “But like I told you, I’m humble, so a lot of people, when they hear that, they won’t think that.”

Lynch wasn’t alone in the Seahawks locker room in thinking he should have gotten the ball. He said that, when he’d returned to the team’s facilities, teammates and personnel came to Lynch and told him they couldn’t believe coaches didn’t run the ball there.

“That was, like, the highest level of respect,” Lynch said.

After that 2014 run to the Super Bowl, Lynch played one more season with the Seahawks before retiring at the age of 29. Lynch wound up coming back to the NFL, playing two seasons with the Oakland Raiders before returning to Seattle to play one game in 2019.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 21, 2023 6:43PM

In my opinion, the biggest bone head play call of all-time.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2023 4:17AM

There is nobody on the planet that would have called a pass play,

Marshaun Lynch run play was the only call

Pete should have been fired right after that play, one of the dumbest play calls ever

• Options

It was a great Super Bowl, but it would have been even better if the cameras had made there way to the Seahawks locker room after the game, and Lynch and Carroll were fighting, live on TV, in front of millions of people. We haven't had a good coach vs player rumble since the "Thrilla with Piniella."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=les8ZwzwnbI

• Options
    edited February 22, 2023 4:29AM

Don't get me wrong though, I wanted to buy Pete a steak and beer after he out coached and made a fool of himself snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory lol

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Don't get me wrong though, I wanted to buy Pete a steak and beer after he out coached and made a fool.of himself snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory lol

Oh, I know the Patriots fans loved the play call! 😂😂

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

one of my favorite play calls of all time

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    one of my favorite play calls of all time

I bet it was! 🖒🖒 😂😂

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last time we were discussing Marshawn Lynch, it was after his arrest. Anyone know if he has turned things around? He was a regular drunk driver.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2023 5:43AM

@thisistheshow said:
    The last time we were discussing Marshawn Lynch, it was after his arrest. Anyone know if he has turned things around? He was a regular drunk driver.

No idea if he drinks or not but financially he is squared away, he is a minority owner with the Seattke Kraken and has some cannabis investments going on as well.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

No idea if he drinks or not but financially he is squared away, he is a minority owner with the Seattke Kraken and has some cannabis investments going on as well.

I've heard he's done really well financially.

I'm referring to a thread that was on the forum here not too long ago, where he was passed out in his car. I just know from reading about him that he seems to be a heavy drinker, and when his arrest occured, which wasn't his first, I read anecdotal stories that he is a perpetual drunk driver. It's weird because these guys are so rich, they can always get rides. 🤷

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beastmode's networth is north of 50 million.
    Among other activities, be is in charge of an NIL collective at Cal.

Still has a little growing up to do. As my dad would describe him, ' he's lucky to be alive'.
    He was raised by a single mother in a very difficult environment in Oakland.

Have a nice day