Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1968 Topps Baseball Uncut Sheet.

I have an uncut sheet from 1968 Topps baseball that I'd like some information on and hopefully, I can find that information here.

The cards on the sheet run from about #475 to low 500's. It is in a sheet protector, which has aged, but the color on the cards are vibrant. I took a picture of the full sheet, in the protector so you can see what cards are included. I took a close-up of the Frank Robinson card so you can see the true color compared to the card just underneath it. There is also a close-up of 3 special cards on the sheet, Managers Dream, Bird Belters and Superstars. The sheet is not perfect, it does have some creases, but no tears or major damage.

I guess what I want to know is, it the sheet more collectible as it is or would it be worth more it it were cut into individual cards? Not that I want to cut it, but the sheet has 2 Frank Robinson cards, 2 Lou Brock cards, the 3 special cards and a few others that at note worthy. and selling cards seems easier and possibly more profitable than a full sheet.

Like I said, I'm just looking for some information / help, so I know how to more forward with this item

Comments

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2023 2:01PM

Very nice! The sheet is worth way, way more uncut than as individual cards. Coincidentally, I had a half sheet several decades ago from the same series that I cut up. I still have one or two uncut portions (for example, I saved a two card panel of Frank Robinson and Lou Brock) but I wish I saved the sheet intact.

Daniel
  • Options

I actually had a second sheet, exactly the same, but it was 1968 and I was an 8 year old kid and cut it up. I'm glad I saved one of them

• Options

@MikeF729 said:
    I actually had a second sheet, exactly the same, but it was 1968 and I was an 8 year old kid and cut it up. I'm glad I saved one of them

Back in the day where would an 8 year old or his or her parents buy these sheets?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw sheets as a kid because I lived near the Topps factory in Brooklyn, and employees would often have them.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool item. I want it!
    What else did you save? Do you still have the sheet you cut up at 8?
    Show more pics. Welcome to the form

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

I like it too. Do not cut! None of those cards are huge $.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    1963ellsworth22and101963ellsworth22and10 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2023 6:06PM

Nice. You probably cut up Slit A as a kid, that is Slit B. They have the same cards just in different rows. They were originally printed together in a huge 264 card sheet that was then cut in half by hand before being placed on the sheet cutting machine. Here is Slit A.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen uncut sheets before. This is too cool.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with others...don't cut it up! The singulated cards would not only have creases and be considered lower grade but they would also be trimmed which greatly diminishes their value. The uncut sheet is worth more and far scarcer than trimmed single cards from 1968.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    I saw sheets as a kid because I lived near the Topps factory in Brooklyn, and employees would often have them.

Probably the same way mine ended up in my house (proximity to the factory) - Park Slope in the 1960's.

Daniel
  • Options

@Yankeefan320 said:

@MikeF729 said:

Back in the day where would an 8 year old or his or her parents buy these sheets?

My Grandfather got it for me. He was friends with the guy that had the distribution for Topps on Staten Island and he asked the guy for the sheets and the guy gave them to him.

• Options

Happy to see so many positive remarks to the sheet.

Now comes the question.... any idea how much it's worth ?

• Options

@MikeF729 said:
    Happy to see so many positive remarks to the sheet.

Now comes the question.... any idea how much it's worth ?

At least a $1.000 through a auction house, a 1968 Topps 4th Series sheet sold for $3,280 with Leland's in 2003, but your sheet has no key cards and has condition flaws.

• Options
    edited February 22, 2023 8:23AM

At least a $1.000 through a auction house, a 1968 Topps 4th Series sheet sold for $3,280 with Leland's in 2003, but your sheet has no key cards and has condition flaws.

I would certainly consider the "Super Stars" card with Mantle, Mays and Killebrew to be a key card. Tough to get a nice centered one for a decent price.

Daniel
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2023 9:08PM

Leave as is. Presents well uncut. Put in a nice frame behind glass, would increase it's appeal.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely don't cut. I'm trying to obtain all six 1978 Topps baseball uncut sheets. Stuck at A and B sheet right now lol.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240