Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Nike Michael Jordan Promo Rookie Card

Yankeefan320Yankeefan320 Posts: 160 ✭✭

I think that the card is way undervalued compared to the 1986 Fleer. I think that the Nike card is going to get a big boost with the new Ben Affleck and Matt Damon Nike Michael Jordan movie coming out in April.

Do any of you have an estimate how many Nike sets were produced?

We all know that card companies like Topps and Fleer would never reprint a card thus flooding the market, but what’s to stop some company like Nike from doing so?

Comments

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's no 84 Fleer, but are you referring to the 84 Star? The Nike card has hit its ceiling in my opinion. It's not a license NBA card so it will never compare to the 84 Star or the 86 Fleer. if anything, the Nike movie will have an impact on all MJ cards. I believe like I said the Nike card has hit its ceiling, but I could be wrong.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

And talking about reprints, there are A LOT of Nike reprint cards. Be careful. It's obvious to spot them, but you do need to know what you are looking for.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

@BPorter26 said:
    There's no 84 Fleer, but are you referring to the 84 Star? The Nike card has hit its ceiling in my opinion. It's not a license NBA card so it will never compare to the 84 Star or the 86 Fleer. if anything, the Nike movie will have an impact on all MJ cards. I believe like I said the Nike card has hit its ceiling, but I could be wrong.

Yes, I meant the 1986 Fleer. My bad! Were the T206’s which had the famous Honus Wagner card licensed by tobacco companies?

• Options

@dontippet said:
    And talking about reprints, there are A LOT of Nike reprint cards. Be careful. It's obvious to spot them, but you do need to know what you are looking for.

Yes, easy to spot! I saw a video (below) on YouTube comparing the real set to the fake set. Michael was spelled wrong MICHEL! LOL.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dzv5werEuC4

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that movie is going to go swoosh down the commode.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

Yes, I meant the 1986 Fleer. My bad! Were the T206’s which had the famous Honus Wagner card licensed by tobacco companies?

LOL, you really went there? There were no card companies as well as no licensing back in 1909.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    I suspect that movie is going to go swoosh down the commode.

Everyone remember the huge Magic Johnson spike last spring with Winning Time and the Lakers Hulu doc..... :D

• Options

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

LOL, you really went there? There were no card companies as well as no licensing back in 1909.

Geez, I was just joking, man! 🙃 Same idea though! Are certain companies cards more valuable because they have super duper licenses? 🤪 Asking for a friend!

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

Geez, I was just joking, man! 🙃 Same idea though! Are certain companies cards more valuable because they have super duper licenses? 🤪 Asking for a friend!

Yes. Demand is a big part of value, and there are some collectors not interested in unlicensed stuff. Not saying I’m one of them, but it’s important to understand the market. You shouldn’t assume something is extra valuable just because it’s extra “cool” or extra “rare.”

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

That MJ 85 Nike 3x5 promo isn't even that rare compared to the 5x7 poster card from the same year.
    the 3x5 promo has over 3600 PSA graded copies
    the 5x7 poster card has a total pop of 62

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

Yes. Demand is a big part of value, and there are some collectors not interested in unlicensed stuff. Not saying I’m one of them, but it’s important to understand the market. You shouldn’t assume something is extra valuable just because it’s extra “cool” or extra “rare.”

Well it’s a really cool card and I own 1 PSA 10, 3 PSA 8’s and one at PSA now being graded so I have a vested interest 😀 it’s Michael Jordan, arguably the best basketball player of all time and I think very undervalued. Regardless if Nike isn’t a card company, it is a brand and so were tobacco and some other companies and Jordan made Nike famous.

• Options

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

You might be right as far as licensing but perhaps not the card companies part of your comment!

• Options

@Yankeefan320 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

Well it’s a really cool card and I own 1 PSA 10, 3 PSA 8’s and one at PSA now being graded so I have a vested interest 😀 it’s Michael Jordan, arguably the best basketball player of all time and I think very undervalued. Regardless if Nike isn’t a card company, it is a brand and so were tobacco and some other companies and Jordan made Nike famous.

If you,re a fan of MJ'S NIKE PROMO then you should definitely checkout his 5x7 poster promo card.they are on ebay frequently and not to expensive at all.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

If you,re a fan of MJ'S NIKE PROMO then you should definitely checkout his 5x7 poster promo card.they are on ebay frequently and not to expensive at all.

Your links don’t work!

• Options

@Yankeefan320 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

Your links don’t work!

These are for the 3x5 promo card
    https://www.psacard.com/pop/multi-sport-cards/1985/nike/42461

these are for the 5x7 poster card. They're #850 Air Jordan
    https://www.psacard.com/pop/multi-sport-cards/1985/nike-poster-cards/184739

• Options

@Yankeefan320 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

Please show me where I disagreed with any of that (except the word “undervalued”). I never said it wasn’t “really cool,” never argued against MJ’s greatness or icon status. I simply answered your question and said yes, the lack of licensing puts a cap on its value in the open market. I also stated I personally don’t care about licensing. However, some do. Just reality.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

Your links don’t work!

These are for the 3x5 promo card
    https://www.psacard.com/pop/multi-sport-cards/1985/nike/42461

these are for the 5x7 poster card. They're #850 Air Jordan
    https://www.psacard.com/pop/multi-sport-cards/1985/nike-poster-cards/184739

Neat. I vaguely remember seeing those years ago. They must be much more rare since the total population of all cards is only 394.

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

Please show me where I disagreed with any of that (except the word “undervalued”). I never said it wasn’t “really cool,” never argued against MJ’s greatness or icon status. I simply answered your question and said yes, the lack of licensing puts a cap on its value in the open market. I also stated I personally don’t care about licensing. However, some do. Just reality.

I never said you personally disagreed with me. I was just making a general comment!

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

It’s a sweet card but there’s so many. I remember seeing it hit 10k in a psa 9 during Covid and thinking that is gonna crash. The 85 prisms are probably the best to take off $ wise, only a hundred or so out there. Will probably be a 100k card someday.

• Options

@Yankeefan320 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

I never said you personally disagreed with me. I was just making a general comment!

Fair enough. Besides, I realized I was a hypocrite in something I said. I said unlicensed cards don’t bother me. That’s mostly true, for example with Nike cards, police issues, certain food issues, etc. However, I find “custom cards” made by average joes or “cards that never were” that are made in somebody’s basement to be absolute garbage.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

Well, this is a big part of the issue. The only reason anyone cares about the Wagner card, at least to the extent that they do above other HoFers in the same circle, is because Wagner was incensed that his NIL was being used without his permission.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

You might be right as far as licensing but perhaps not the card companies part of your comment!

The answer you quoted is not what you think it is. It's fairly clear that Peck and Snyder wasn't a card company any more than K-Mart was in 1982 or Hostess in the 1970s.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

I don't own one of the Jordan Nike cards, but I do like them. I read somewhere that they were released before Jordan's 101 Star rookie, but I don't know if that's true or not. Either way, it's a nice card to have.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@daltex said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@BPorter26 said:

The answer you quoted is not what you think it is. It's fairly clear that Peck and Snyder wasn't a card company any more than K-Mart was in 1982 or Hostess in the 1970s.

That’s your opinion. What I posted is someone else’s opinion. I don’t give a rat’s ass either way. I just think it’s undervalued even if Acme Brothers manufactured it 😜

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320

I'm confused. I thought you had a PSA 9, 2 PSA 8's and PRO 10, PRO 9 and the PRO 10 failed minimum grade requested attempting to crossover and it was cracked out of the slab and sent back to you ungraded. Is the one now being graded that card? Anyway, it's a nice card. I think it's peaked except for maybe the 10's.

• Options

@sayheywyo said:
    @Yankeefan320

I'm confused. I thought you had a PSA 9, 2 PSA 8's and PRO 10, PRO 9 and the PRO 10 failed minimum grade requested attempting to crossover and it was cracked out of the slab and sent back to you ungraded. Is the one now being graded that card? Anyway, it's a nice card. I think it's peaked except for maybe the 10's.

Yep, I sent the one PSA cracked out of the PRO Gem Mint 10 holder back to PSA. I have been communicating with PSA and they admitted they screwed up and are going to try to make it right. The Quality Assurance team will hopefully give me some sort of resolution if it isn’t graded a PSA Mint 9. You are right. I have 1 PSA 10, 1 PSA 9, 2 PSA 8’s besides the one PSA cracked out of the PRO Gem Mint 10 holder. Years ago I bought 5 sealed sets and had all the cards graded. Quite frankly I get the grades for the Michael Jordan’s confused with the grades of the Doc Gooden’s because they received similar grades. LOL. The PSA 10 Jordan I bought on eBay back in the early 2000’s. I think that I paid $1,000.