Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian Silver Maple Leaf Finish Question

I picked up a 2015 Silver Maple Leaf with ram privy mark. It looks like a reverse proof as the portrait and maple leaf are shinny while the fields are dull or matt. I can't find anything on it in my reference book ( Coins of Canada by Haxby and Willey} unless I'm looking in the wrong place. Though I would ask members here about the finish.

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2023 3:59PM

My Haxby is old and only goes to 2009. You'll have to look in the back under privy-marked silver bullion or in a newer Charlton Vol 2, which has mint products, rather than circulating coins. Without photos, tough to tell, but what people call P/L, MS, spec, etc is up to debate as to what terms are used. All were commissioned by private enterprises, hence the marks, but made by the Mint. All, starting in 1998 were shiny silver design elements on satin fields. There's not much of a premium for most of that stuff, with much selling under the issue price, but it's silver.

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

My book is 2021. There is a section on privy marked silver maple leafs but doesn't say anything about the finish.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2023 5:53PM

In my 2009 book, the last sentence in the first paragraph for the privy-marked maple leaves is "The Specimen finish features design devices in brilliant relief on a satin background".

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

Charlton v2, 2022 calls the regular silver maples bullion strikes. Privy marks are a mix of bullion, specimen and proof. The 2015 Ram is classed as Specimen.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Thanks for these answers. Checked my book again and it doesn't say anything about the finish.