Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

NBA ALL-STAR GAME NOW JUST A JOKE-REGULAR SEASON TOO

Captain obvious here, but the nba all-star game has become just ridiculous. To say Tatum set the scoring record is a kick in the teeth to the ex players that took the game somewhat seriously. Really haven’t been a huge nba fan since basically the Jordan era but it has become unwatchable. Remember when it was rare when a team scored 115-120 points in a game because there was defense played? Now its a nightly occurence by multiple teams. Many teams per night were under 100, now that is a rare occurrence. To me the NBA has become just a shooting contest, a glorified game of horse if you will. Watch how the scoring goes way down once the playoffs start because defense will again be present. To me the current nba is a sham. Just my opinion which means absolutely zero. I’m sure many of you enjoy the nightly shootouts and thats ok too.

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to take the regular season serious when you get the impression the players don't take it that serious. I believe I read about a month or so ago that the Commissioner told the league to ramp up the scoring in the regular season.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    Captain obvious here, but the nba all-star game has become just ridiculous. To say Tatum set the scoring record is a kick in the teeth to the ex players that took the game somewhat seriously. Really haven’t been a huge nba fan since basically the Jordan era but it has become unwatchable. Remember when it was rare when a team scored 115-120 points in a game because there was defense played? Now its a nightly occurence by multiple teams. Many teams per night were under 100, now that is a rare occurrence. To me the NBA has become just a shooting contest, a glorified game of horse if you will. Watch how the scoring goes way down once the playoffs start because defense will again be present. To me the current nba is a sham. Just my opinion which means absolutely zero. I’m sure many of you enjoy the nightly shootouts and thats ok too.

Chose 1990 randomly...

Field goal percentage in the current season is lower than in 1989/90. Teams in the current season are taking 0.9 shots per game more. Teams are taking 4.8 fewer free throws per game than in 89/90.

So this idea that defense is way down is a myth.

Scoring is up because teams are shooting more 3s. In 89/90, teams took 6.6 per game. In the current season, teams are taking 34.1 per game - an increase of 27.5 per game. AND making 36% of them vs 33%.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong forum.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2023 10:17AM

This is something that came about during the Lebron James/Carmelo Anthony era and it really sucks as a fan of basketball because these games used to be fun to watch when you had the best NBA talent going all out. Its really the entire NBA All Star weekend that has gone downhill imo. Players used to take pride in participating in the dunk contest and now the league is lucky to get a handful of contestants. Mac McClung,the player that just won the dunk contest isnt even on an NBA roster,he's in the G league.

I spent time one day going thru the previous AS games in the 2000/2010's and you could see that players started to not take it serious with every new year after Jordan retired. You had one of the best AS games ever in 2001 where the East led by Allen Iverson made a huge comeback late in that game for the win then slowly year by year it just got worse. I blame the top stars for this because when you get new players making the team every year and see that the best players aren't going all out then why should they? Celtics guard said it best after the game "That's not basketball, its a glorified layup line." He's right.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am starting to wonder if the NBA even cares about those of us fans that are over 50. They seem to be concentrating on the younger crowd and showcasing the modern players. For example they have created this narrative that Steph Curry is a top 15 player of all time when he is more likely top 30. IMHO Isiah Thomas and Stockton are better and Curry would have struggled with how physical the game was back then. I will agree that Curry is the greatest shooter of all time but just barely over Bird.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

The thing that sickens me moat about the NBA these days are the maintenance days. Players taking off for absolutely no reason. It's an absolute joke. I blame the Spurs for this because they won a championship doing it and that seemingly made it ok. Maybe these pansies should get paid by the game, not the season.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    The thing that sickens me moat about the NBA these days are the maintenance days. Players taking off for absolutely no reason. It's an absolute joke. I blame the Spurs for this because they won a championship doing it and that seemingly made it ok. Maybe these pansies should get paid by the game, not the season.

It's crazy, My buddy bought expensive Wizards tickets for Christmas to take his son to see Giannis and the Bucks. Giannis and Beal didn't play even though they both looked completely healthy.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@shagrotn77 said:

I can understand the maintenance days to a degree. This isn't the mid 80's where everyone played 80 games and the highest paid player made 2M if he was lucky,these days average role players are making up to 20M and the supermax elite players in the 40-50M range. Lose one of those for a significant amount of time and your season is over.

The NBA season really doesn't need to be 82 games then up to another 24 if you're a contender,the league needs to cut that 82 down to about 60-65 but it will never happen. If they ever did that then owners would try to lower the salary payscale and the players would never allow it. When the new TV deal kicks in after the 2024-25 season the salary cap is expected to jump almost 50% more than its at now at around 125M so there's likely to be more maintenance days ahead in the future when so much more money is involved.
    Ironically I wouldn't even consider this the NBA's largest issue, that would be what the Nets just went through in recent seasons with Durant,Kyrie,Harden & Simmons. That's an entertaining topic for another day. 🤣

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@shagrotn77 said:

I can understand the maintenance days to a degree. This isn't the mid 80's where everyone played 80 games and the highest paid player made 2M if he was lucky,these days average role players are making up to 20M and the supermax elite players in the 40-50M range. Lose one of those for a significant amount of time and your season is over.

The NBA season really doesn't need to be 82 games then up to another 24 if you're a contender,the league needs to cut that 82 down to about 60-65 but it will never happen. If they ever did that then owners would try to lower the salary payscale and the players would never allow it. When the new TV deal kicks in after the 2024-25 season the salary cap is expected to jump almost 50% more than its at now at around 125M so there's likely to be more maintenance days ahead in the future when so much more money is involved.
    Ironically I wouldn't even consider this the NBA's largest issue, that would be what the Nets just went through in recent seasons with Durant,Kyrie,Harden & Simmons. That's an entertaining topic for another day. 🤣

You just illuminated my point. Players want to be paid significantly more to play significantly less. It’s absurd. Agree on the Nets fiasco. The NBA is soooooo not what it used to be.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@shagrotn77 said:

@erikthredd said:

@shagrotn77 said:

You just illuminated my point. Players want to be paid significantly more to play significantly less. It’s absurd. Agree on the Nets fiasco. The NBA is soooooo not what it used to be.

It may seem absurd but its a Player's league, they're the attraction not the other way around. Ever since the Dream Team won the Gold and the advent of so many foreign players coming to the NBA and succeeding the game has gone Global which means Global money coming in. Its no coincidence that the four previous MVP awards went to two foreign players and the current top 5 players for this years MVP award only one is a homegrown American.

When you say that the NBA is sooooo not what it used to be. in most cases its so far much better when Players & Owners are all getting paid handsomely. Now they just need to figure out certain aspects like the AS game,Tanking and possibly down the line,a shorter season. 40 games,an AS weekend, then finish out another 20-25 games would be perfect for a regular season. Maybe even make the first round a best of 5 again like its been in the past. The players want less wear n tear on their bodies. There's also been talk now about players not playing in enough games to quailfy for Postseason awards like MVP or DPOY and end up missing out on them even though they might have won.

The NBA and the Players association have plenty to work with its just getting together and making something happen. Surprisingly that Nets abomination might end up being the reason for the PA and owners getting in the same room to see what happens.