Home Sports Talk

What happened to UNC basketball?

DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

So last year Kansas beats them in the National Championship game and following that loss several UNC players decide to stay for this year and complete ‘unfinished business’.
So at the start of the season of course they are ranked number 1 in all the polls.
So now their overall record after losing today is 16-11 and 8-8 in the ACC and they long ago dropped out of the top 20 rankings. I believe this is the first time a number 1 has completely dropped out of the rankings.
I’m not a fan but why were they so good last year and so average this year with what was supposed to be a better team because of the great experience they gained last year?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Comments

• Their guards are terrible shooters. They went 5/31 against Miami for three's. Coach L packed the paint, and dared them to shoot it, and they jacked up brick after brick. They got hot last year, and had no pressure on them. This year the pre-season ranking got to them. They have lots of talent (3 McDonalds All-Americans), but they really don't play well as a team. Bacot should get more touches, but they don't run the offense through him enough. Also, I don't feel Coach Davis makes good halftime adjustments. In only his second year, he may improve on this, if they give him time to grow as a head coach. There is not much patience down here when you don't make the tournament. I teach 10 miles from Chapel Hill, so I hear the complaints of the fans, and there are rumblings about issues between teammates as well.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess same thing happened to Ohio State this year, 11-16 with a Purdue making them look like a second hand High School team - worst record they've had in a long time. Horrible conference record also.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canes- thanks for the insight, didn’t know you taught 10 miles away from Chapel Hill.
    You mentioned they don’t play well together. Last year that really seemed like a strong point, I guess it just shows how quickly things can change. I really haven’t watched any of their games this year so didn’t realize the guards were having such a tough time putting it in the basket.

I thought it was so unusual for a team to struggle so much after a great season especially not losing any key players that it was worth a thread.
    Thanks for the comments.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in Greensboro North Carolina, born and raised, college basketball is huge down here, UNC and Duke being the premiere programs. Like Canes said, I think they just got hot last year at the right time.