Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Long Cross coin help

SimonWSimonW Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 19, 2023 3:04PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Not my series at all, I’ve had this for years, some random thing I thought was cool, but I’d like to figure out exactly what it is. I’ve spent a little time looking through some identification guides and am having a hard time telling exactly which king this coin pertains to. As far as I can tell it’s probably a half-penny from one of the later Edwards. Can anyone baby step me through this? What’s important when identifying them?

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Comments

• Options

That’s awesome! Thank you so much!!!

As far as rarity goes, pretty common?

• Options

@SimonW said:
    That’s awesome! Thank you so much!!!

As far as rarity goes, pretty common?

I wouldn't call Berwick common, but this type is fairly numerous for Berwick. They're historically interesting as Edward I was fighting over Berwick at the time. Some of the dies seem to have come from (or been inspired by) London, but they do not follow the usual development of other Edwardian pennies.

• Options

Thank you for the help! Very much appreciated

• Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

@John Conduitt
    Funny, just by chance I acquired a Berwick minted Edward I penny to give to my son in law this Christmas.
    He’s originally from Sheffield, himself. Not too far from Berwick-on Tweed. Obviously quite similar to the OP’s coin.

Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

@DoctorPaper said:
    @John Conduitt
    Funny, just by chance I acquired a Berwick minted Edward I penny to give to my son in law this Christmas.
    He’s originally from Sheffield, himself. Not too far from Berwick-on Tweed. Obviously quite similar to the OP’s coin.

It's a great coin, with toning too. I don't know what he'll say if you tell him Berwick is near Sheffield, but he'll like the coin.

• Options

Cool! Do you remember what you paid? I don’t know what values are on these, for an average one $50-$80 or so?

• Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

@John Conduitt > @John Conduitt said:

It's a great coin, with toning too. I don't know what he'll say if you tell him Berwick is near Sheffield, but he'll like the coin.

Yah. Here in the US Midwest states we have a different sense of distance than the Brits. It can be almost 300 miles to get from one end of Wisconsin to the other, depending on what direction you’re headed. Sheffield and Berwick are 200 miles apart. But you are right, he told me Sheffield and Berwick were definitely not “close”

I liked his coin so much, I went out and found one of my own at auction, this one a nice London variety for contrast:

Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....