Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hand cutting question

I searched a few previous threads and didn't see an answer for this: Does PSA need a specific size for hand-cut cards? Or are you good as long as you make a nice, straight, sharp cut parallel to the border?

Comments

• Options
    davin72davin72 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Your normal cards would have to be 2 1/2 by 3 1/2. The one you posted I’m not sure. I may be wrong but ones that have the dotted lines as boarder must retain those to be graded. Just make sure to do as much research as you can to make sure you do it right so they won’t get sent back ungraded.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Copyboy1 said:
    I searched a few previous threads and didn't see an answer for this: Does PSA need a specific size for hand-cut cards? Or are you good as long as you make a nice, straight, sharp cut parallel to the border?

The answer is "it depends". On cards with a black border "line" all the way around, PSA has on occasion given a numeric grade even with some, or most of the lines cut off. I had always thought the entire border had to show. I always try to submit with black border lines showing all the way around.
    On cards cut from Baseball Cards magazines, I try to leave a tiny "sliver" of white around the edge, so the grader can see the entire card is there.
    PSA can be inconsistent with hand cut cards.
    Is there a specific card/cards you are interested in? If so, that info would be helpful.
    I have cut out Post, Bazooka, Jello cards as well as from different magazines.
    NEVER cut a perforated card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Is there a specific card/cards you are interested in? If so, that info would be helpful.

I don't have a picture of the card, unfortunately. But it's got a black line border that's all intact. The way it was initially trimmed (outside of that black border) is really haphazard. I was thinking I could trim it with a like a 16th of an inch outside the black. Then it would all look nice and even.