Home Q & A Forum
Options

1886 O Morgan - Worth Grading?

Rahman147Rahman147 Posts: 14
edited February 18, 2023 6:17PM in Q & A Forum

Looking for some advise on what grade i could potential get through PCGS for my 1886 O Morgan. I haven't sent a coin in before so I also would have the membership fee to consider.

I am concerned about the damage on the nose and the heavy toning.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

It depends on what you are trying to do with the coin if it's worth the cost of grading.
    It also depends if you have other coins to send to offset the costs & membership fees.
    If you are going to pay membership fees and grading fees for one coin it might not be worth it.
    If you are looking to sell the coin there is a good chance it would sell better being graded.
    If you are looking to keep the coin for your collection it may not matter as much.

The coin is a better date/mint and the condition seems good enough to justify the cost of grading.
    I don't think the hit on the nose would cause a net/details grade.
    The toning may or may not cause a problem, the grading company could feel the toning is because of an old cleaning.
    The toning is not attractive and a dip done properly may improve the appearance of the coin.
    If you don't know how to do it properly you would be best to leave it alone.
    The coin appears to be in the AU-53 to AU-55 range and if it grades in that range it would be a $175 to $250 coin.

If you don't get more replies here or don't like this answer you could post it on the main coin forum for more replies.
    https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Welcome to the forum! :)

It depends on what you are trying to do with the coin if it's worth the cost of grading.
    It also depends if you have other coins to send to offset the costs & membership fees.
    If you are going to pay membership fees and grading fees for one coin it might not be worth it.
    If you are looking to sell the coin there is a good chance it would sell better being graded.
    If you are looking to keep the coin for your collection it may not matter as much.

The coin is a better date/mint and the condition seems good enough to justify the cost of grading.
    I don't think the hit on the nose would cause a net/details grade.
    The toning may or may not cause a problem, the grading company could feel the toning is because of an old cleaning.
    The toning is not attractive and a dip done properly may improve the appearance of the coin.
    If you don't know how to do it properly you would be best to leave it alone.
    The coin appears to be in the AU-53 to AU-55 range and if it grades in that range it would be a $175 to $250 coin.

If you don't get more replies here or don't like this answer you could post it on the main coin forum for more replies.
    https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

Thanks for the reply. I could possible put together some other coins to send. For the price I paid even though I'll probably hold onto it, I was considering grading. Was very curious what others thought of it's current grade. Helps with guidance.

Thanks for the detailes explanation.

• Options

@Rahman147 "Was very curious what others thought of it's current grade."

Don't be afraid to post it on the main coin forum board if you are wanting more replies. ;)

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @Rahman147 "Was very curious what others thought of it's current grade."

Don't be afraid to post it on the main coin forum board if you are wanting more replies. ;)

I plan on doing that unless the moderators can just move it. Initially I posted in here because it was a question. Tried to keep it in the right category.

• Options

You would need to contact a moderator and request the thread to be moved.

It may be easier to just start a new thread. ;)