Home Sports Talk
Options

Tigers joke

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am reading about a joke woods played on his opponent at the PGA event, i believe yesterday. Without getting political, does anyone think this was offensive? I wont describe what happened, but you can just check out ESPN or FOX SPORTS to see what happened.

To me, it was two friends pranking on each other. Harmless fun. Perhaps I am wrong.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if it was a private round of golf then fine, but a professional tourney with all the media and fan’s in attendance, no.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

this boils down to a couple of things.

numero uno, hypercriticism is part and parcel of being rich and famous. it's not fair, but it's what it's. unless you're 1,000% infallible, you'll always be a target for the pearl-clutchers. and seeing as no one is 1,000% infallible, well, there you have it.

numero dos, razor-thin sensibilities abound. like my girlfriend (who found the prank humorous) said, "if Tiger had given JT a piggyback ride down the fairway, someone somewhere would have been unable to move forward with their life."

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not at all.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tiger knows he lives under a microscope. What with all the cameras, hi-tech phones etc. out there why even take the chance, however innocent the prank was.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 can you kindly confirm or deny something for me. Jokes, pranks 'bits', like this are relatively common on a golf course and best appreciated by thinking about the fact that they have to be planned proactively.

My comment history would show that I speak fondly of an incident when Larry Bird critiqued the play of his teammates as being too feminine. I think it was 1984 after game 3 versus the Lakers in the Finals. Called out his teammates in the press, knowing it would get back to them, knowing there would be backlash.

At the time in 1984, the words "played like women" or "played like sissies", as Bird said, would conjure images of less-aggressive, mealy, non-physical and subservient basketball play. In 2023, for better or for worse :D , using some-such phrase would ring hollow among many and not get the desired effect. Maybe if a pro player said it, the message would get accross, but if a HS mens basketball star said it, many listening would be confused because they would have probably recently witnessed the girls teams playing with much grit and voracity, with some dirty (when necessary) play as well. The point is, girls now also do sports and women are tough (see @doubledragon's wife), but there is an elephant in the room that is often not seen or discussed (intentionally and not intentionally), glossed-over, and and which lies at the root of some very interesting conversations about not only sports but life itself. I digress,

Tiger's joke relies on the idea that women can't hit a golf ball as far as men can ( in general and among competitive players).
    However, and this is where the outcry and backlash stems from, that joke is forever linked to the adage that women cannot be as aggressive or as domineering or as successful as men

So what is my point? lol, The conflation of ideas and words, the overlap of societal norms and actualities, put us into a modern society where, on this very day, @craig44 can only make a post like this if he very is careful in his wording, and I ,@thisistheshow ,can only type out this seemingly unnecessarily long response because.. this is the show

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is up with people when they start their apology with "IF I offended anybody....................." when the whole reason they're apologizing is because their actions offended people?? Just own what you did and move on instead of acting like you don't know what you did.

Tiger Woods is done, he's been done since the driveway incident with his wife and it's been a freefall for all these years. Doens't he tire of embarrassing himself in public AND on the golf course??

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

[ Doens't he tire of embarrassing himself in public AND on the golf course??]

I would emberass myself anytime, anywhere, when anybody offers me 1,000,000$ for doing nothing!!!!!!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@Maywood said:

[ Doens't he tire of embarrassing himself in public AND on the golf course??]

I would emberass myself anytime, anywhere, when anybody offers me 1,000,000$ for doing nothing!!!!!!

I hit agree, although Tiger was not required to try to potentially embarrass himself to get paid.

I can honestly say that there are many things I would do, without shame or second thought, for an amount of money that would surprise many people. Now I'm not talking something that is wrong, or that will cast me in a bad light, just...for instance ...sometimes me and the wife and kids are sitting around in the evening and due to luck or happenstance the conversation is light and jovial, and then my youngest son will start saying things like....Dad, would you do this for this amount of money. I'll sometimes say yes, and secretly hope that my wife gets on board and facilitates things and...yada yada yada...I'm fifty dollars richer.

Never happens. I stay broke. 🤷🤣🤬🤪🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said: Dad, would you do this for this amount of money?

If I think hard of the times I've done "jack-ass" stuff for free it makes me cringe!! :s