Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coins On Old Holders

I recently bought some coins and two of them are on old coin holders, one of the holders is a large PCI and it is already cracked on the image side, so on this I will just going to remove the coin. The other is inside a small ACG accugrade holder in great condition.

First time for me to have in hand these type of old holders, on the ACG one would you simple break it and send it to PCGS to be graded or leave it alone?

What would you do?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends.

What’s the grade & value of the coin? What are you planning on doing with the coin (keep, sell)? Where do you plan to sell it (online, to a dealer, BST, in Mexico, etc.)?

Those holders add zero value. But if it’s a low value coin and you plan to sell it, why spend more money (and waiting time) at PCGS?

If you plan to sell via Stacks or Heritage, they will most likely require a first tier TPG.

If it’s to keep in your collection, as long as you are sure it’s genuine, just leave it alone. Or if you prefer a better holder for your heirs (for example), then send it in once you get other coins to send together (to reduce per-coin fees and shipping).

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2023 2:48PM

@pruebas Great comments, both are AU50 and not too cheap, bought them with some other ones, since I have now most of the coins that I kept for my collection on PCGS holders, that's why I asked.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

ACG is not noted for its grading prowess.

• Options

@syl said:
    ACG is not noted for its grading prowess.

Got it, thanks.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

If these are from the late 1980s, don't be too quick to crack these out. What coins are in the holders? There are variations in these holders and some have a small but interested following. People on the darkside in general are less interested in slabs- you might get a better answer on the US forum even if they are world coins if the driving issue is the collectability of the slab- And that cannot be dismissed without images of the slabs.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited February 18, 2023 8:20AM

@coinkat Too late holders are gone/trash.