Home Sports Talk

The Cleveland Cavaliers do the unthinkable and buyout Kevin Love

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's too bad - I'm sure some team will pick him up even with his back and hand issues.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see him get picked up by the Celtics. They've got an open roster spot,need another wing/big and can offer more money than most teams due to their disabled played exception they got for Danilo Gallinari getting hurt before the season started. The only negative would be that he wouldn't get as much playing time as he could on other teams,on the other hand they're the favorites to win it all.
    If he's looking to win a ring this year there are so many more teams he could go to that have a much better chance than Miami. Boston,Milwaukee,Philly,Dallas,Phoenix,Denver,GS, both LA teams or he could have just stayed in Cleveland,imo.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    I'd love to see him get picked up by the Celtics. They've got an open roster spot,need another wing/big and can offer more money than most teams due to their disabled played exception they got for Danilo Gallinari getting hurt before the season started. The only negative would be that he wouldn't get as much playing time as he could on other teams,on the other hand they're the favorites to win it all.
    If he's looking to win a ring this year there are so many more teams he could go to that have a much better chance than Miami. Boston,Milwaukee,Philly,Dallas,Phoenix,Denver,GS, both LA teams or he could have just stayed in Cleveland,imo.

There was a time when I loved his game. Later on, he started to irk me. But I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Cs.

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

There was a time when I loved his game. Later on, he started to irk me. But I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Cs.

After they just traded for Muscala,who is a poor man's Kevin Love, I don't think that they'll go after him. They need one more wing behind Tatum & Brown to help lower their minutes over the next couple months. They've missed out on a few players bought out over the past week because they can't offer much playing time.

Love would be a perfect fit with the Mavs,he's already had great success with Kyrie and a player similar to Lebron in Luka. I don't know if they have spot open though.

This move may screw the Cavs come playoff times.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

His play has slipped lately and his production with it. The whole thing was orchestrated sort of like a trad with the assumption that he'll end up with the Heat and after he signs it'll give them a small amount of cap space. Letting him go breaks the connection to the Championship but also allows for the younger players to step up and provide more leadership. After all, the guys they have will be around for at least a few years and Love didn't really fit in to the longer term plan.

He was a really good player and even better teammate when he first joined the Cavs, he gave them help at forward and could get hot from the arc. His only knock was that he tended to get hurt too often, but some of that wasn't really his fault. I recall his arm being broken in the playoffs by a Boston player grabbing him and then Irving hurting his ankle in the finals. If not for that the Cavs probably would have won that year but Lebron had no help against a tough Warriors team.

Adios, Kevin. :)

Sad to see him go but he made a damn good living off of the Cavs for 8 years..............

SEASON TEAM SALARY
    2021/22 Cleveland Cavaliers $31,258,256
    2020/21 Cleveland Cavaliers $31,258,256
    2019/20 Cleveland Cavaliers $28,942,830
    2018/19 Cleveland Cavaliers $24,119,025
    2017/18 Cleveland Cavaliers $22,642,350
    2016/17 Cleveland Cavaliers $21,165,675
    2015/16 Cleveland Cavaliers $19,689,000
    2014/15 Cleveland Cavaliers $15,719,063

That salary history looks upside-down. When KL was helping the Cavs in the Championship games he was making around half of what he made last year.

Miami it is...............

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    After clearing waivers, Kevin Love plans to sign with the Miami Heat, his agent Jeff Schwartz of
    @Excelbasketball
    tells ESPN.

As I stated earlier, the whole thing was predicated on KL signing with the Heat, that was pretty common knowledge with the Cleveland media.

@Maywood said:

[ that was pretty common knowledge with the Cleveland media.]

Cleveland media - so who we talking about -Mary Kay Cabot? Or anybody on WKNR? :D

edited February 20, 2023 6:29AM

@Steven59 said: so who we talking about?

Whoever covers the Cavs for the local papers, not that anyone reads the newspaper today.

It seems that the Heat most probably inquired about Kevin Love but weren't willing to take on the contract, so Cavs management approached him about the "trade" and he agreed. Then it was a simple matter of buying him out, KL signing with the Heat and the new salary coming off the Cavs cap(or something like that). The bottom line is that there was never and "bidding" for him and never any chance of him going to Boston or anyone else.

edited February 20, 2023 7:15AM

@Maywood said: The bottom line is that there was never and "bidding" for him and never any chance of him going to Boston or anyone else.

That's ok Boston will be just fine with the Masked Crusader instead...