Home Sports Talk

Raiders release QB Derek Carr, avoid paying $40 million in guarantees

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Article says he has talked with the Saints 2 times already. But I swear I read somewhere that he doesn't want to go to the Saints - who knows??

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2023/2/14/23599745/derek-carr-released-nfl-news-rumors-raiders-guaranteed-money-saints-free-agent

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, he did not want to help the franchise out by agreeing to a trade.

Before he signed that big contract to begin with he said he would rather retire then play for any other team, basically lied through his teeth to help his contract talks

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Before he signed that big contract to begin with he said he would rather retire then play for any other team, basically lied through his teeth to help his contract talks

I really don't blame him for not wanting to help the team out when he literally just signed that contract extension last offseason. The Raiders gave up on him not the other way around.

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

I really don't blame him for not wanting to help the team out when he literally just signed that contract extension last offseason. The Raiders gave up on him not the other way around.

Agreed, I don't blame him either.

Just stating the facts

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

Just stating the facts

I mean he did give up quite a bit of guaranteed dough though lol, he or his agent must have a good idea of how much money he can sign for elsewhere to make up for it.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can the Patriots bring him into camp to compete with Mac?

edited February 14, 2023 6:05PM

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

Just stating the facts

I mean he did give up quite a bit of guaranteed dough though lol, he or his agent must have a good idea of how much money he can sign for elsewhere to make up for it.

I respect what he did, it might bite him in the rear end though.

My only gripe with him was what I mentioned in my previous post when he was clamoring for a big contract and saying he would rather retire then play elsewhere

IDK it just annoyed me for some reason but he seems like a pretty decent guy

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry Carr, we have our QB for next season?

@thisistheshow said:

He would be an upgrade but if he couldn't get it done with the Raiders roster he certainly won't do it in New England, I don't want to pay him big money and that's what it would take

@thisistheshow said:

Oh, that would be a slap in the face to Mac and instant trade rumors.!

@perkdog said:

[He would be an upgrade but if he couldn't get it done with the Raiders roster he certainly won't do it in New England,]

Was he ever a "cold weather QB"? - I haven't followed him or his carrer.

@Steven59 said:

@perkdog said:

[He would be an upgrade but if he couldn't get it done with the Raiders roster he certainly won't do it in New England,]

Was he ever a "cold weather QB"? - I haven't followed him or his carrer.

Fresno State and LA

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Sorry Carr, we have our QB for next season?

No, you're forgetting, Aaron Rodgers has to finish his darkness retreat before he can make a decision. Let's check in on Rodgers, see how it's going.

I wouldn't want to pay Carr big money either if BB brought him to NE. I'd rather see Bill upgrade the OLine and passing targets then let Mac & Zappe battle it out for the job.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry guys. I forgot the sarcastic emoji. I didn't mean it. But I appreciate the responses.

[ Let's check in on Rodgers, see how it's going.]

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Above all else, the league is a business. BB taught me that.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been befuddled ever since this "Carr saga" started to gain steam, I thought he was an average QB who had some hot stretches but then reverted back to himself, average. I suppose he'd be a good fit for someone needing a spot starter or to bridge the gap while trying to draft a QB, but $0 million?? There are better choices for less money.

"Free agent quarterback Derek Carr is reportedly scheduled to visit the New York Jets this weekend and said to be "high on" the team's list, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo and Ian Rapoport reported on Friday (February 17)."

edited February 19, 2023 4:00AM

@Steven59 said:
    "Free agent quarterback Derek Carr is reportedly scheduled to visit the New York Jets this weekend and said to be "high on" the team's list, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo and Ian Rapoport reported on Friday (February 17)."

Awesome, the Pats won't have to worry about the Jets again next season lol.

Damn Jets! Why would they do the sensible thing and go after Derek Carr rather than trade for Aaron Rodgers and his huge contract? 😎

Well the Saints it is for Carr - giving the Jets the option to go after Rodgers.

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    "The #Saints & Derek Carr agreed on a 4-yr deal for $150M with $100M in total guarantees, per me &
    @MikeGarafolo
    . He gets $70M effectively fully guaranteed ($60M at signing, another $10M in Year 3 vesting after Year 1). Carr structures his deal to accommodate Saints’ cap issues."

@Steven59 said:
    Well the Saints it is for Carr - giving the Jets the option to go after Rodgers.

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    "The #Saints & Derek Carr agreed on a 4-yr deal for $150M with $100M in total guarantees, per me &
    @MikeGarafolo
    . He gets $70M effectively fully guaranteed ($60M at signing, another $10M in Year 3 vesting after Year 1). Carr structures his deal to accommodate Saints’ cap issues."

That is crazy, looking at their stats last season, I don't see too much difference between Derek Carr and Andy Dalton.

LOL. The Saints going from Andy Dalton to Derek Carr.