Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can approximate grading date be determined from a cert number?

If this card was graded relatively recently, the grade relative to the centering bodes well for quite a few early to mid '70s OPC's that I would like to grade since weak centering from this era is the norm:

Answers

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 5:47AM

I understand how bad 1970s OPC centering can be, but that card has a heavy tilt.

And I do believe that there are some guys on here that keep a record of different looks the flip has had over the years to "try" to determine the era the card was graded, but I'm not sure if they collect the cert numbers too.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

This card was graded very recently.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

100% it was submitted under the July 2022 National Special deal PSA had running. I would say it was entered around the 1st and 2nd week of July and graded sometime in August or Early September.

• Options

@nam812 said:
    I understand how bad 1970s OPC centering can be, but that card has a heavy tilt.

And I do believe that there are some guys on here that keep a record of different looks the flip has had over the years to "try" to determine the era the card was graded, but I'm not sure if they collect the cert numbers too.

Based upon PSA's grading standards, tilt is not officially a factor; however, based upon the highly subjective "eye appeal" latitude that graders are given I'm certain that tilt sometimes (and possibly frequently) results in downgrading. SGC's grading standards for NM 7 includes "Card may exhibit a slightly skewed (diamond) cut" which is why I wouldn't sub cards with any degree of tilt to them that are potential candidates for PSA 8 or above. Most of my '74 OPC PSA 8's would probably be SGC 7's due to their slight tilt. I've seen many PSA 9's and 10's with tilt but which meet the minimum centering standards for the grade.

Although the pictured card has the current flip it could have been reholdered, which is why I'm wondering if it's possible to determine approximate grading date from a cert number.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although the pictured card has the current flip it could have been reholdered, which is why I'm wondering if it's possible to determine approximate grading date from a cert number.

Reholdering does not change the cert number. This is a new grade from 2022.