Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1957 SP66 10 and 25 Francs from French West Africa Lec-19 Essai

This French West Aftican Coin is a specimen that was made at the mint.
I find it interesting that this design went to the trouble of engraving two smaller fish like thingies on the upper right of the coins, near the word d'EMISSION. I assume they are supposed to be fish, but I am not sure. The 25Fr has a light surface mark on the left of the horn of the truly impressive antelope. It was still graded MS67, and I believe that was the case because strike is so strong. The give away for the strike is the small cross like design element on the sawfish that includes the eyes. It includes a double bar with a space between, It is perfect on this example, and slightly less so in the Fr10 which a cleaner coin overall and received an MS66.

The front on Antelope is an extraordinary design which is executed very well. They are very attractive coins

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998

Comments

• Options
    mrbrklynmrbrklyn Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998
  • Options

Those “thingies” are Paris mint privy marks.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely beautiful! Obviously I love the design and you have both the wonderful antelope on the reverse teamed with the Taku gold weight on the obverse. Nice.
    Your coins almost look to be made of gold.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2023 11:25AM

@Top50SetBuilder said:
    Those “thingies” are Paris mint privy marks.

Thank you for that information - Is there documentation somewhere that I can notate?

• Options

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for that information - Is there documentation somewhere that I can notate?

Numista is a very good site for coin info: https://en.numista.com/

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

The upper one appears to be a cornucopia, meaning Paris Mint, The second looks like a dolphin, but Rousseau didn't work in that time frame. Could it be a wing?

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

That is very cool!

• Options

That is very cool!