Home Q & A Forum
Options

1982 d penny

I heard that it was hard to get a 1982 d penny. From the internet... How do i know if my 1982 d penny is the good one??

Answers

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

There are several different types of 1982 cents, with large and small dates and made of either copper or copper coated zinc. All are very common except the 1982 D small date copper. Only 2 of these have been verified to date. You need to determine if yours is a large or small date and then weigh it, 2.5 grams or so for zinc, 3.1 or so for copper.

• Options

Okay o got a copper one cause it's 3.1 and read that if its a small date the 1,8,2 will appear to b aligned and and it looks like it does. Anyone wanna shut it down for me??? And take a look?? If u need better pics I try to get a better one.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cruzsr85 said:
    Okay o got a copper one cause it's 3.1 and read that if its a small date the 1,8,2 will appear to b aligned and and it looks like it does. Anyone wanna shut it down for me??? And take a look?? If u need better pics I try to get a better one.

If you drop it on a table does it “ring” or “thud”?

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

That's a large date. Just google comparison pictures of the two, they are easy to tell apart.

• Options

I just posted a small date copper on ebay. I just found1 after a long search.

• Options

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2023 4:49PM

• Options

@Waldo13 said:
    I just posted a small date copper on ebay. I just found1 after a long search.

1982 small date copper cents are very common and only worth face value. You need the D mintmarked copper small date.