Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1762 Netherlands 6S Scheepjesschelling Zeeland

My son picked this up not that long ago and it sort of reignited our collecting habit after a long pause.

It is just a fun coin and ambitious, I think, for the time period.

He did this write up on it
http://www.mrbrklyn.com/scheepjesschelling.html

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

With that write-up, Id say that it did more than reignite your collecting habit, I'd say that it put it ablaze. Great thread.

• Options
    mrbrklynmrbrklyn Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

@syl said:
    With that write-up, Id say that it did more than reignite your collecting habit, I'd say that it put it ablaze. Great thread.

Yeah - I can't take credit for that, other than training and encouraging my son. It needs a few edits. Maybe I will get to it.

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2023 10:30AM

For some reason, the photo (if there is one) is not showing for me in the original post above (though there are several space breaks where it looks like there should be a pic).

But I can see the coin on the linked webpage. Nice writeup, and a very nice Gem example of the type!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

@lordmarcovan said:
    For some reason, the photo (if there is one) is not showing for me in the original post above (though there are several space breaks where it looks like there should be a pic).

But I can see the coin on the linked webpage. Nice writeup, and a very nice Gem example of the type!

FWIW, there is 3. It is on a http:// server, if that matters to your browser, and being fed off a my web server while embedded here. Some browsers and plug ins don't like either of those things.

• Options

Lordmarcovan - I need a Spanish and dutch translation of the write up :) Just saying

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2023 9:09AM

Great article and coin!

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Good work, i have read.
    It was very interesting and great state when it was real (+-) Republic, when they fought with Spanish but some time later it became usual European monarchy. One of my favourite political figure is Wilhelm Oranskiy. Do you know that the first thalers with date 1575, 1576, 1589 (hope i don't make mistakes, i have only 1589) have his portrait?
    Coin's photo isn't mine.

He was killed by assassin in 1584. I guess later coin's knight become "some knight", not Wilhelm.

Phhh... It's difficult for me write in English...

Peace.

• Options

You mean William the Silent?

• Options

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    Great article and coin!

:)

I am very satistfied that you enjoyed it. I tend to do a bit of writing and nobody ever reads it :)

• Options
    Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

@mrbrklyn said:
    You mean William the Silent?

Yes, he is. You can see his coat of arms with lion on the coin wich become Holland state emblem.
    I guess that it's bad that title Stadtholder was inherited by Orange family. Bad for Republic because in the end of 17 century and later it become ordinary state.

Peace.