Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Unlisted 1921 Mexico 10 Peso Copper Uniface Trial?

CoinCollector2023CoinCollector2023 Posts: 11
edited February 9, 2023 1:38AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need expert help on this coin. Is this coin a trial, a pattern, a fantasy or a replica?
Four years ago brought this coin on Ebay for $30. It is a uniface copper coin that is blank on reverse and 1921 10 peso on the obverse. The portrait is in high relief and has different hair detail than other coins from the series. This coin has seen circulations. I have checked reference books and online to see if there is any coin that is similar to this coin but came out fruitless. There is no 10 peso coin released on 1921 (Only from 1905-1920)

Comments

• Options

Coin width is 21.3mm, edge thickness 1mm/portrait thickness 1.4 mm weight 3.37g

• Options

This coin compared to 1920 10 pesos. The biggest difference is the portrait, the 1920 is in low relief and shorter neck while this coin is in high relief and a longer neck. Another difference is the space between numbers in the date, this coin has a narrower date compared to the 1920.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a fake to me.

Besides, there are enough smart people trolling eBay that you wouldn’t have bought it for $30 if it were genuine.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure that argument has much merit. People cherry-pick interesting things from eBay all the time.

That said, the mushiness of the lettering and dentils make me think it was not struck by mint dies.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen it and does not look as of the Mexico City mint quality.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mystery.

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

We've got one of these somewhere. It was in an old flip labeled 'Pattern?' but I was never able to find anything further about that piece. My guess is it is probably some sort of gaming token. I think it ended up in my drawer of 'still not exactly sure what this is' stuff

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another one 2-1/2 Hidalgo 1921:

That was for sale in Puebla Mexico and marked as Fake.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe some kind of game token since they are uniface?

• Options

Gaming token makes the most sense being uniface and imitative of (2) diff. gold denoms. That or obverse test strikes for what would have been not-great contemporary counterfeits.

enough smart people trolling eBay that you wouldn’t have bought it for $30 if it were genuine

Heh... heh.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unusual things surface when and where you least expect- I suspect gaming tokens

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.