Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

mets-steve-cohen-fires-back-at-mlb-team-owners-who-are-mad-at-his-spending-they-need-to-look-more-at

82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cohen is correct.

After 2 decades of Met fans claiming, or whining, the Yankees were try to buy a championship now maybe they can keep quiet. BTW the Met's payroll was never that much far behind the Yankees.

I do hope they continue to keep the payroll up up up and get same result as the Yankees have since 2010 :) !

IMHO Spending Huge money on 40 year old Veterans is seldom a smart move But I do wish them luck with that - seriously I do.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

Comments

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish my Reds would spend “some” money on their team. Mets spend more on their food bill than the Reds spend on payroll.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Apologies on posting to wrong sub-forum

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2023 10:49PM

Here's a scan to make it trading card themed. This is the pathetic dreck small market teams call building blocks. Baseball is a mess. They need to address competitive balance like all the other sports leagues have done.

• Options

^ I totally get what you are going for but Phoenix Metro is not a small market. Perhaps small minded ownership content to suckle on the subsidy teat from other owners is more like it?

The Phoenix Metropolitan Area – also the Valley of the Sun, the Salt River Valley, or Metro Phoenix (known by most locals simply as “the Valley”) – is the** largest metropolitan area in the Southwestern United States**, centered on the city of Phoenix, that includes much of the central part of Arizona.

As of the 2020 census, the two-county metropolitan area had 4,845,832 residents, making it the 11th largest metropolitan area in the nation by population.

• Options

Interesting stuff. I would have though LA Metro was #1.

2020: The 30 Biggest U.S. Metropolitan Areas from Largest to Smallest
    1. New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA 19,261,570
    2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA 13,211,027
    3. Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI 9,478,801
    4. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 7,451,858
    5. Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX 6,979,613
    6. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 6,250,309
    7. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 6,129,858
    8. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD 6,092,403
    9. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta, GA 5,947,008
    10. Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler, AZ 4,860,338
    11. Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH 4,854,808
    12. San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA 4,709,220
    13. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA 4,600,396
    14. Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI 4,317,384
    15. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA 3,928,498
    16. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI 3,605,450
    17. San Diego-Chula Vista-Carlsbad, CA 3,323,970
    18. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 3,152,928
    19. Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO 2,928,437
    20. St. Louis, MO-IL 2,806,349

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    ^ I totally get what you are going for but Phoenix Metro is not a small market. Perhaps small minded ownership content to suckle on the subsidy teat from other owners is more like it?

The Phoenix Metropolitan Area – also the Valley of the Sun, the Salt River Valley, or Metro Phoenix (known by most locals simply as “the Valley”) – is the** largest metropolitan area in the Southwestern United States**, centered on the city of Phoenix, that includes much of the central part of Arizona.

As of the 2020 census, the two-county metropolitan area had 4,845,832 residents, making it the 11th largest metropolitan area in the nation by population.

I was referring to him getting picked up by the Pirates after washing out of the Padres, Reds and DBacks organizations. They gave him another 200 at bats to produce a .187 batting average. He was but one of a dozen or so waiver wire pickups the Pirates trotted out last year with zero of them panning out.

Some small market owners are cheapskates. Bob Nutting certainly is at the top of that list. With a cap and floor, it would force all owners to field a competitive team. If they aren't willing to do so, they don't get to squeeze the life out of an organization while they hold onto it so they can pass it down to their kids like Nutting is doing.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2023 10:55AM

Regarding cap. Player Association will never agree to it. Most Large Owners will never agree to it . Most small market team owners will be against it as they would lose the free welfare revenue from large market teams.

The majority of folks who are in favor of a cap are Fans of smaller market teams - Or fans of Larger market teams with cheap ownership - like the Mets pre-Cohen.

Bottom line it ain't ever going to happen as the entity body's in power do not want it. BTW privately (and sometimes even publicity) none of them cares about a competitive sport. Their SOLE care is how much $$$ they can get today.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2023 12:00PM

I think many players are for it. A floor will lift up the value of most players' contracts. The main force against it is Boros and his $40M/year clients. At least that's the inside baseball scoop I heard from last year's winter meetings when there was momentum building for some type of cap until Scherzer put the breaks on it at the behest of Boros who always has an outsized voice in how baseball operates. All the things the union said is was fighting for would be achieved with a floor and a floor can't happen without a cap:

The union wants to eliminate purposely losing, or tanking, as a desirable strategy for clubs to build a contender. It wants teams to pay younger players larger salaries and to eliminate service-time manipulation.

...Boros has zero interest in any of those things happening. He only cares about maximizing the contracts of the top 5% of the players, most of whom he represents.