Home Q & A Forum
Options

Breakout SMS sets for the JFK Half Dollars -YES or NO?

JWPJWP Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a new JFK album that I'm filling and it takes the SMS JFK Half Dollars. I have 11 - 1965's & 9 each for the 1966 and 1967 SMS sets. It appears to be more cost effective to remove JFK's from the SMS sets (Personally I don't like doing it and never have broken a Proof or Unc set). Is there a market for these sets with the JFK removed on BST ( I don't sell on Ebay). Thank you in advance for your humble opinion.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Best Answers

• Options

Thanks for the comment, i will consider it.

• Options
    Bulldogs39Bulldogs39 Posts: 2

I Have found no matter the way stored in those original envelopes, in the cello's , when i did break one apart, be ready , have all air tight capsules , or sleaves filled out in advance, with Mylar flip ready , only do one coin at a time and make haste , then do them all one at a time , if you take a break , even if there in the cello, black spots will appear, you will average one coin, that will get black spots , if you don't put each coin done under a towel, preferably BLACK ,WHEN DONE LEAVE THE LIGHTS OFF ! let the coins sit , and put them away with no light source directly on the coins ! check them @ days later in dim light ! good luck Brother in Arms , Dano

• Options

@Bulldogs39 Thanks for your idea, I plan on breaking these 3 sets, hopefully this week.

• Options

@numist Thanks for the input.

• Options

Thanks folks for the great ideas you gave me

• Options

Thanks to all for you thoughts.

Answers

• Options

Market for the remaining coins as a set sans half dollar would probably be very small. I'd reholder the remaining ones and either stick them away for a while or maybe donate them to the YN program at a local club or the ANA.