Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with coin value.

Comments

• Options
    SlipKidSlipKid Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

I read that no dot cents circulated. I would get it authenticated if that's what you think it is.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2023 5:40PM

You look like you have "dots" all over that. Only 3 of these were ever known to be minted and accounted for and they are all in museums as they were ultimately given to specific government or mint representatives, including the British Monarch. At one time, Pitman had all 3 until his death. Those that were minted were all specimens and no circulation coins were minted. There were none issued for circulation, so that the 4 or 5 that turn up on coin sites every year are fakes or scams or photo-edited. The "dot" on your coin is not in the right place for those known to exist and the rims are not specimen edges. That's what happens when the Monarchy changes after the mintage year has started.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2023 5:42PM

It looks like a reasonably well circulated 1936-dot cent. The problem is, there's no such thing as a reasonably well circulated 1936-dot cent. The only three known genuine 1936-dot cents on the market are all uncirculated specimen coins. No circulated examples are known to exist, therefore no market value for them can be established.

To obtain a value for it, you would need to:
    - Authenticate it. PCGS have authenticated the other three, and they would love to have a fourth under their label, if a genuine fourth example were to surface.
    - Put it up for auction, and let the market decide how much it is worth.

Personally, I am sceptical. Specifically, I find the uneven appearance of the coin rather odd; there are bag marks and scratches over about half of the surface, but the other half - including the area around the infamous dot - is curiously smooth. If pressed for an opinion, I would judge that either the coin is fake, or the image has been doctored.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dot looks too big, IMO.

• Options
    mrbrklynmrbrklyn Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

Maybe $3.

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998