Home Sports Talk
Options

Bill Belichick praises Tom Brady

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is awesome stuff.

Tom Brady gets emotional as Bill Belichick heaps praise on his former QB: 'The greatest ... it was incredible'

Things got icy toward the end between Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

Now that Brady says his career is over — "for good" this time — the two are looking back fondly on their days as quarterback and head coach of the New England Patriots.

Brady appeared Monday on the first episode of his weekly "Let's Go!" podcast since he announced his retirement last week. His first guest on an episode that also invited Peyton Manning and Rob Gronkowski? None other than Belichick. Six days out from a Super Bowl neither of them had a chance at winning, the two reflected on the most successful coach-quarterback pairing in NFL history.

Belichick was effusive with his praise of Brady.

“The greatest player, the greatest career, a great, great person," Belichick said. "It was such an opportunity and an honor for me to coach Tom. I guess it’s gotta end at some point. But it’s the greatest one ever. So, congratulations, Tom.”

It was a rare moment of candor from Belichick, who's made a career out of saying as little of interest in public as possible. He went on to praise Brady for his ability to process information and make quick decisions while crediting his longtime quarterback for teaching him to be a better coach.

"I was so lucky to learn from him and his vision," Belichick continued. "No other coach will get that experience. It was incredible."

Brady's voice cracked as he responded to Belichick and a question from host Jim Gray on what Belichick did to bring out the best in him.

“It’s more what did he not do to bring out the best in me,” Brady said.

"Coach Belichick and I developed an amazing relationship really from the moment I was drafted. We spent a lot of time together. He started to begin to teach me what football was all about, how to study defenses when I started to play, certainly. ...

"I couldn't imagine a better teacher to say, 'Hey, here's how you're going to play quarterback in the NFL.'"

Brady also challenged reporting that his and Belichick's relationship was strained at the end.

"It's such a stupid — in my view, people were always trying to pull us apart. I don't think we ever even felt that with each other.

"We never were trying to pull each other apart. We actually were always trying to go in the same direction. I think when we were in New England for 20 years together, they get tired of writing the same story."

Before Belichick joined the episode, Brady expounded on his decision to call it quits. He insisted repeatedly that his retirement is permanent this time after last year's effort lasted mere weeks.

"There's always gonna be a part that wants to play and a part of me that feels like I can play," Brady said. "I think there's just a decision to know it's the right time. So I think for me it's gonna end at some point, and I think now's the right time."

After a year that saw his football career and his marriage to Gisele Bundchen come to an end, Brady said he intends to shift the focus he's shown on the field to his life outside the game. He said so on the same day that he announced he won't start his broadcast career with Fox until the 2024 NFL season.

"I've always wanted to maximize my ability as a player," Brady said. "Now I get to maximize my ability in life as a person and as a human, as a man, as a father, as a son, as a brother, as a friend."

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is good to read this, I'm sure like any 20 year relationship there would always be ups and downs, I've always been critical of Belichick and I always will be but the bottom line us Pats fan will always be grateful for the both of them

• Options

"He went on to praise Brady for his ability to process information and make quick decisions."

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    "He went on to praise Brady for his ability to process information and make quick decisions."

Let me ask a question here (almost entirely to play devil's advocate). Are the abilities to process information and make quick decisions usually more common in pocket passers and less common in "non-traditional" QBs?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Let me ask a question here (almost entirely to play devil's advocate). Are the abilities to process information and make quick decisions usually more common in pocket passers and less common in "non-traditional" QBs?

I would say that it is necessary for both the pocket passer and the non-traditional QB to have this ability, but I've always admired guys like Brady, Manning, Marino, nothing fancy about them, they just shred your defense into pieces with their mind and their arm.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I would say that it is necessary for both the pocket passer and the non-traditional QB to have this ability, but I've always admired guys like Brady, Manning, Marino, nothing fancy about them, they just shred your defense into pieces with their mind and their arm.

I will add that to be an elite a d successful pocket QB these traits are mandatory. The non-traditional QB has ways to make things happen differently.

What we are seeing more are non-traditional QBs who also can play like successful pocket QBs when necessary. This is what I said about Mahomes. And he proved that be leading his team while having the high ankle sprain.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad BB heaped the praise. I am certainly grateful for both being part of the Patriots for so long.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I will add that to be an elite a d successful pocket QB these traits are mandatory. The non-traditional QB has ways to make things happen differently.

What we are seeing more are non-traditional QBs who also can play like successful pocket QBs when necessary. This is what I said about Mahomes. And he proved that be leading his team while having the high ankle sprain.

I like a good mobile quarterback as well, the guys that can move around and make things happen, and Mahomes is a beast, but I do hope we haven't seen the last of the pocket passer, they fascinate me. I will also add that I think the Patriots are the greatest dynasty in NFL history, six Super Bowls spanning two decades, and I don't think we'll ever see another one like it.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I like a good mobile quarterback as well, the guys that can move around and make things happen, and Mahomes is a beast, but I do hope we haven't seen the last of the pocket passer, they fascinate me. I will also add that I think the Patriots are the greatest dynasty in NFL history, six Super Bowls spanning two decades, and I don't think we'll ever see another one like it.

The organization appreciates your respect and (expects your) loyalty. Thank you, sir.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can the Mahomes - Reid combination match this by the time Mahomes is done?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom definitely got choked up when Bill praised him for being the best ever.

@Alfonz24 said:

Matching the 6 rings in NE, the 7 total,or the numerous career stats?

The rings will be tough especially when there are some other great QBs just in the same conference like Allen,Burrows,Herbert & Lawrence that might not win SBs but might be good enough to knock Mahomes from future playoffs.
    As for the career stats,maybe, he's had some great statistical seasons since taking over as starter. It will definitely take a prolonged career though,likely 20+ years in the nfl at least.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Alfonz24 said:

The rings will be tough especially when there are some other great QBs just in the same conference like Allen,Burrows,Herbert & Lawrence that might not win SBs but might be good enough to knock Mahomes from future playoffs.
    As for the career stats,maybe, he's had some great statistical seasons since taking over as starter. It will definitely take a prolonged career though,likely 20+ years in the nfl at least.

I'm just going to lay it all out on the table for you guys...

If the Chiefs win this SB, the talk is not only going to be where does this Reid/Chiefs/Mahomes dynasty rank, it will also be what they have to do to overtake so and so. Soooooooo, in the event that that happens, expect me to be here defending my Pats, until I can't

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Alfonz24 said:

If the Chiefs win this SB, the talk is not only going to be where does this Reid/Chiefs/Mahomes dynasty rank, it will also be what they have to do to overtake so and so. Soooooooo, in the event that that happens, expect me to be here defending my Pats, until I can't

Ha, I'll be there with you but I think if Mahomes wins on sunday he's gonna have a great case for possibly coming close to Tom's postseason career. With a win, Pat will be 2-1 in SBs in 5yrs as starter not to mention he made it to the AFCCG5 straight times.
    Just look at his postseason stats to date:
    11th all time in passing yards (3902yds to Brady's 13,400)
    8th in passing tds (32 to Brady's 88)
    10-3 postseason record to Brady's 35-13

Its going to take a long career to come close but out of all of the QBs in football I'd say he has the best shot.
    Don't worry though,we're a looong way from that all happening. 😉

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Alfonz24 said:

Ha, I'll be there with you but I think if Mahomes wins on sunday he's gonna have a great case for shot at possibly coming close to Tom's postseason career. With a win, Pat will be 2-1 in SBs in 5yrs as starter not to mention he made it to the AFCCG5 straight times.

Its going to take a long career to come close but out of all of the QBs in football I'd say he has the best shot.

I had to reread it to understand your angle. I changed two words, and it makes more sense to me now. 🤣🤣🤷

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Alfonz24 said:

Ha, I'll be there with you but I think if Mahomes wins on sunday he's gonna have a great case for shot at possibly coming close to Tom's postseason career. With a win, Pat will be 2-1 in SBs in 5yrs as starter not to mention he made it to the AFCCG5 straight times.

I had to reread it to understand your angle. I changed two words, and it makes more sense to me now. 🤣🤣🤷

I'm fine if he comes close but no cigar. 😉👌

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Alfonz24 said:

The interesting thing to me will be to find out how far the goalposts of this comparison will shift over time. If the Chiefs had won that SB against TB, I have a feeling that we would be right now hearing that a Chiefs win this Sunday would put Mahomes over the top of at least close to it.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    This is awesome stuff.

[ ]

"Wer'e gonna make millions off of the NFL - just stick with me kid............"
    >

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Alfonz24 said:

The interesting thing to me will be to find out how far the goalposts of this comparison will shift over time. If the Chiefs had won that SB against TB, I have a feeling that we would be right now hearing that a Chiefs win this Sunday would put Mahomes over the top of at least close to it.

Its not just the 7 rings though
    its the 10 trips to the SB
    its the 14 conference championship games
    its the 35-13 postseason record
    its all of the postseason records he holds
    its the 19 division titles
    its all of the regular season passing records he holds
    its the highest winning percentage of all QBs with 150 or more starts

Mahomes may come close to some of these accomplishments but he'd have to play a very longtime at a very high level to come close to matching all of them. We got plenty of time before then. 😉😎👍

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Alfonz24 said:

Mahomes may come close to some of these accomplishments but he'd have to play a very longtime at a very high level to come close to matching all of them. We got plenty of time before then. 😉😎👍

This is why I often point out that KC losing to TB in the SB was huge. During the two weeks leading up to that game, all we heard was "GOAT vs baby GOAT" talk. So imagine if Mahomes was up 1-0 over Brady in head to head SBs and was also 2-0 in SBs. I guarantee you that right now there would be plenty of people ready to annoint him the GOAT if he wins Sunday. Why? He would be a perfect 3-0 (one behind Montana) and he would have also beaten Brady. This would have him leapfrogging Brady in many minds, despite all of the accomplishments you listed above and all of the other accomplishments and intangibles that I could list.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Alfonz24 said:

This is why I often point out that KC losing to TB in the SB was huge. During the two weeks leading up to that game, all we heard was "GOAT vs baby GOAT" talk. So imagine if Mahomes was up 1-0 over Brady in head to head SBs and was also 2-0 in SBs. I guarantee you that right now there would be plenty of people ready to annoint him the GOAT if he wins Sunday. Why? He would be a perfect 3-0 (one behind Montana) and he would have also beaten Brady. This would have him leapfrogging Brady in many minds, despite all of the accomplishments you listed above and all of the other accomplishments and intangibles that I could list.

Hey,Eli's 2-0 vs Brady in the SB and he's just an afterthought to anyone outside of Giants fans. Tom can relax for a bit lol.
    Once Pat gets close you & I can take a road trip and Celtic Pride his ass. 😎😎

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Alfonz24 said:

They got a long way to go to be in the same paragraph as the Pats

• Options

I agree. The Chiefs, with a win will have a LONG way to go to match the Patriots. So much would have to go right...

Mahomes, also, has a very long way to go to match the goat. With the injury risks of playing in the league, he will get injured at some point. They all do. How will he recover? How effective will he be as his athleticism fades in his 30's? Much of his current game is predicated on being able to escape the pocket.

We can revisit in another 15 years when Patty is 42

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I agree. The Chiefs, with a win will have a LONG way to go to match the Patriots. So much would have to go right...

Mahomes, also, has a very long way to go to match the goat. With the injury risks of playing in the league, he will get injured at some point. They all do. How will he recover? How effective will he be as his athleticism fades in his 30's? Much of his current game is predicated on being able to escape the pocket.

We can revisit in another 15 years when Patty is 42

One thing for sure is if the Chiefs lose they will further cement the "Dynasty that never was" thing

30 for 30 special lol

• Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^ very true.

think about what that would mean for Andy Reids legacy.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ very true.

think about what that would mean for Andy Reids legacy.

They are on the precipice...which way they go is TBD. That is a main storyline for this SB, imo.

• Options

no pressure @darin no pressure