Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fake or Authentic?

So I bought a large collection a few years back and this card was nested in a large box. It was one of a few older cards that were in there. I contacted the person I bought the collection from but he didn’t even know the card was in there. So what is the consensus? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Looks ok to me. Why do you think it may be unauthentic?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2023 11:23PM

@ldferg said:
    Looks ok to me. Why do you think it may be unauthentic?

Because of how he got it. If I bought a '30s top tier HoFer, I'd expect it to be more than a throw-in.

ETA: that's at least a $150 card in Authentic. Heck of a throw-in.

I don't see anything from the picture that looks suspicious, either, but two obvious tells are what happens when you hold it up to a blacklight and if you look at it up close is it a solid picture or does it pixelate?

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I will give it the black light test when I get home later today. I will let you know what I see. I question it only because how I obtained it and the seller wasn’t even aware he had it. I was thinking about sending it in with the current special. I’d expect it to be around a 2 if it’s real.

• Options

Nice card. Looks legit to my eyes.

• Options

@shawther said:
    I will give it the black light test when I get home later today. I will let you know what I see. I question it only because how I obtained it and the seller wasn’t even aware he had it. I was thinking about sending it in with the current special. I’d expect it to be around a 2 if it’s real.

Do you have a magnifier of any kind?

As far as the way you obtained it, I agree, but it would seem even more unlikely to have Goudey reprints there. Now if it was a bunch of Hebderson, Boggs, Baines rookies it would make sense. Also a bunch of raw commons.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2023 3:05PM

If you have doubts, consider comparing it to other '33 Goudey cards. Check the font, color and card stock. I am optimistic that it is okay

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@daltex I have a large magnifying glass. I just got done with the only black light I could find at the house. Unfortunately, the cheep child decoder was ineffective.

• Options

@coinkat The only other Goudey I have is a PSA 1 Red Grange but I will pull it out of my safe and see what I can do. I am leaning more and more that it is legitimate. Thanks for everyone’s help.

• Options

@shawther said:
    @daltex I have a large magnifying glass. I just got done with the only black light I could find at the house. Unfortunately, the cheep child decoder was ineffective.

And when you looked at it with the glass was it a smooth picture or dots?

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real deal

• Options

So no dots on the majority of the cars. The red banner at the bottom and the background is solid. There’s dots that make up the outline of his shirt. Now is this a good thing or a bad thing? Lol. Thanks again.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

That's a nice looking 2! Congrats on the find!