Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Large size star note

I was talking with a long term area currency dealer who when I showed him the pictures said that the note could be a $1000 note if it were "cleaned up". My research on Heritage showed that even if it were a problem free VF it would still only be worth around $400. Plus rust does not "clean up". Who is right?

Comments

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

You, mostly.
    I'd rely on Heritage prices realized rather than a dealer who appears to be guessing, so you are right there.
    As far as improving the stains, I really don't know but suspect that someone who knows what they are doing can make the note look better. Will it increase the value-certainly, if you sell it uncertified to a collector who doesn't know that it was improved but maybe not if certified as what it really is-an improved note. It's got a nice, original look, as is.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rust stains cannot be removed afaik, and the note had a "natural" odor like an old book library. But there is no escaping a details grade.