Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Updated Coin Photo System-400Q2

I'm really liking these new Quans LED gooseneck lights. They are powered by USB (also come with wall adapter), have both "warm" and "cool" settings, brightness control, and built-in diffusers. They are also easier to mount on the base of the copy stand.

The lights also reduce the cost of the system. I normally charge $85 for the Quans 5W, plus $40 for the diffusers, $125 total. These new lights are $75, a $50 savings on the system.

I have sold several System-P1Q2 with these installed and people are liking them, so I decided to offer them as an option on the System-400. Below is what the 400Q2 version of this system looks like with the new lights. For comparison, you can see the current 400Q1 version on my website here: http://www.macrocoins.com/example-system-400q.html

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Comments

• Options

@rmpsrpms said:
    I'm really liking these new Quans LED gooseneck lights. They are powered by USB (also come with wall adapter), have both "warm" and "cool" settings, brightness control, and built-in diffusers. They are also easier to mount on the base of the copy stand.

The lights also reduce the cost of the system. I normally charge $85 for the Quans 5W, plus $40 for the diffusers, $125 total. These new lights are $75, a $50 savings on the system.

I have sold several System-P1Q2 with these installed and people are liking them, so I decided to offer them as an option on the System-400. Below is what the 400Q2 version of this system looks like with the new lights. For comparison, you can see the current 400Q1 version on my website here: http://www.macrocoins.com/example-system-400q.html

I would like to find out more, what do you suggest for a beginning coin collectors, especially to be able to send off good pictures to get advice on

Thank you

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsei0120 said:> >

I would like to find out more, what do you suggest for a beginning coin collectors, especially to be able to send off good pictures to get advice on

Thank you

A setup like this 400Q/Q2 is fairly advanced, and costs in the $600+ range, so is a bit over the top for most beginning collectors. Something more like my System-P1Q/Q2, which mounts your cell phone instead of a DSLR but still has the good lighting of the 400Q, may be a better start. However, it depends on what sort of advice you're looking for. If you are taking pics of whole coins or slabs and asking for valuations and grading, the cellphone can usually do the job. But if you're looking more in detail on the coin, looking for varieties and errors, etc, then something like the 400Q would be worth investing in.

Tell me more about what you want to do and I can make a suggestion.

• Options

@rmpsrpms said:

@rsei0120 said:> >

Thank you

A setup like this 400Q/Q2 is fairly advanced, and costs in the $600+ range, so is a bit over the top for most beginning collectors. Something more like my System-P1Q/Q2, which mounts your cell phone instead of a DSLR but still has the good lighting of the 400Q, may be a better start. However, it depends on what sort of advice you're looking for. If you are taking pics of whole coins or slabs and asking for valuations and grading, the cellphone can usually do the job. But if you're looking more in detail on the coin, looking for varieties and errors, etc, then something like the 400Q would be worth investing in.

Tell me more about what you want to do and I can make a suggestion.

looking for more detail, on the coin, especially Identifying and accurately taking pictures to find out if that is the case on errors, Will look at my budget, if the 400Q is what I need, what is the budget, you said $600 +, how much and what plus, My daughter and I inherited a lot of coins, I have 3 boxes as in Lowes average moving boxes, plus 8 2" notebooks full, plus, 4 currency notebooks, plus foreign coins, you name it, pennies, dimes, dollars, quarters, Morgans, the list goes one, we are in the process of culling outcome, keeping some, grading some, selling some...we started 2 years ago

Thank you

• Options

Well...OK then! If you have lots of coins to shoot then the more advanced setup probably makes a lot of sense. The most important part of your response is that you want to shoot errors and details, which cellphones and other solutions have problems with.

My standard 75mm Nikon lens will do a good job on error and variety details. You can see the differences between different lenses and techniques on my webpage here, but most folks will choose to "smart crop" rather than invest in a high magnification lens: http://www.macrocoins.com/variety-image-compo.html

I'm shifting over to the new Quans lights, so am recommending those now due to lower cost and good performance.

Note that the lens shown in the photo above is the 18-55mm Canon lens that is used for notes, sets etc. The 75mm Nikon is a smaller lens and only goes up to a little bigger than ASE size coins.

For pricing, the 400Q2 as shown above, with 75mm Nikon lens, 18-55mm lens, Canon Rebel XS camera with AC adapter, the new Quans lights, and "disappearing background" stage, is $615 plus shipping.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again @rmpsrpms for keeping us abreast of the new ideas and innovations in the field of numismatic photography :)
    I for one appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us.
    boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Thanks @1630Boston!

Unfortunately, things seem to be very dynamic in the LED lighting market as it seems the lights I just settled on as replacements for the 5W Quans have limited availability, and the price went way up. It looks like I need to find yet another lighting option...

I was already researching a ringlight option when this happened, so I will step up this effort. Will post here when I have a viable way to configure them.

Meantime I have placed an order for both the new and old Quans lights, so I have a supply for the foreseeable future. I think I bought the last ones available though, so hopefully the ringlights work out. I even have a small stock of Jansjo's for sale with my systems based on microscope stands (like System-1, 2, 3) which can't directly mount the Quans lights, or for folks looking for replacements for their Jansjos.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very happy with my set-up - Thanks again!

• Options

Glad the system is working well for you @Coinscratch!

I have received a shipment of the new Quans v2 lights so can continue building systems with these for short term. They were more expensive than when I ordered them last December, so I need to increase the price from $75 to $85. Still a bargain vs the original 5W Quans since they have the diffusers built-in to the light head, so no need to add diffusers unless you're looking for "pseudo-axial" type of light for raw coins.