Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Like the $15 deal. That's about as good as it will get in my opinion.

I'm going to send in a pile.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Would certainly like lower - especially for filling in Set Registry "holes" but not sure if it will happen

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the direction this is going, but CDN that is about 25 a card with shipping, Which would be fine but most of the cards I want to submit are greater then the 199 limit. This deal with a higher limit and I'd have 50 or so to go on, but looks like the wait continues.

And I suspect we see better deals at some point.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    I like the direction this is going, but CDN that is about 25 a card with shipping, Which would be fine but most of the cards I want to submit are greater then the 199 limit. This deal with a higher limit and I'd have 50 or so to go on, but looks like the wait continues.

And I suspect we see better deals at some point.

sounds good to me. i have a bunch of 80's tiffany cards, opc's, lots of 70's Nolan ryan's. Nothing earth shattering purchased raw, but if I could get a few 9's and 10's.

• Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

They've snubbed 1990-1995 in the last two $15 specials, here's hoping they do a $10 1990-1995 junk wax special with $99 declared value next!

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bulk submission price thresholds will likely be determined by demand. Based on some projections for the the USA Economy plus continued alienation (actual, perceived or otherwise) of PSA's customer base I would not rule seeing better (lower) deals in the next 3-12 months if sub levels dwindle.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@picklepete said:
    It should be limit of $499 value, not $199.. Too low.

Agreed. When did the values change? I can't find my old submissions to look up the old form.

I myself have grown tired of this entire new grading process from prices to declared value, I could add about 10 other reasons. It's why I haven't subbed in 3 years and probably never will. I mean come on $199, that's a joke right. Half the cards I would like to submit are closer to the $499 ceiling. Oh well I guess I will go back to collecting comics more.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Sorry where are you seeing this? I still see $19

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com

@picklepete said:
    It should be limit of $499 value, not $199.. Too low.

Maybe, but if they don't nick pick it if you get a few 10's that might be over that value it shouldn't be too bad. I would assume if the PSA 10 stays under the $499 level then they wouldn't up charge it.

@Jayman1982 said:
    They've snubbed 1990-1995 in the last two $15 specials, here's hoping they do a $10 1990-1995 junk wax special with $99 declared value next!

They receive way too many Juan Gonzalez rookies to have a special on those years. LOL!!

@JoeBanzai said:
    Wait people. Please wait for lower prices.

The waaaaaiting is the hardest part........but I will wait

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@Cakes said:

@JoeBanzai said:

tom petty?

Just sent in a nice lot to be graded. 1976, 1978 - 1985 and 1 1986. All baseball. Nothing huge. mostly star cards and a few rookies. tiffany's, opc's, a few leaf, regular topps, a few minor league.

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Just sent in a nice lot to be graded. 1976, 1978 - 1985 and 1 1986. All baseball. Nothing huge. mostly star cards and a few rookies. tiffany's, opc's, a few leaf, regular topps, a few minor league.

Cool. I put one together over the weekend too, but haven't had a chance to get it sent yet. All 70s with some rookies from the early 80s. It seems a bit like banging my head against the wall with Vintage but I keep going back...

The vintage is tough. PSA grades it so tough. Good Luck.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2023 9:06AM

@Cakes said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Agreed. If the rate was $5 per card, I'd want to sub 3,000 items for sets where many of them wouldn't be worth much more than the grading cost. At $15 per card, that same sub pile gets reduced to somewhere between 50-100. I'll probably keep waiting and hoping we might get to $12-ish though before sending those though.

@miwlvrn said:

@Cakes said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Agreed. If the rate was $5 per card, I'd want to sub 3,000 items for sets where many of them wouldn't be worth much more than the grading cost. At $15 per card, that same sub pile gets reduced to somewhere between 50-100. I'll probably keep waiting and hoping we might get to $12-ish though before sending those though.

I doubt it gets much lower. With the new software and the pics before and after the grading, being placed in the serial number info, just too much overhead to go much lower.

In order to enhance PSA, the value added items cost $$$. In the long run it make their product better, but it will cost the consumer more to be able to participate. But, when collectors/investors see/realize that the value added specifics are worth it, the value of the cards should see an uptick.

@miwlvrn said:

@Cakes said:

@JoeBanzai said:

This is also me. Since I'm mostly a 70s guy I have plenty of perfect cards that have centering issues that I'll never grade at this price. When they drop the fees down then I'll send about the same amount you have.

Honestly, they should do a deal where it's a Super-Bulk order (100 or more, etc...) for like $7 or $10 and I'd be all over it. Maybe even drop the graded value down to $125-$150.

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Labor and materials have gone up significantly since 2019. The bottom is $10-12 from my perspective. As for 4SC, there are in a different category and they submit massive amount of cards. BTW, I have no idea what they pay per card.

Looks good. 8's on some of these would be NICE!!

• jraytayjraytay Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

@nendee said:

@nendee said:

You have to be a member of their Club for $99 per year to get the reduced pricing. The perks are a joke.

• msubearfanmsubearfan Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

@miwlvrn said:

@Cakes said:

@JoeBanzai said:

This is also me. Since I'm mostly a 70s guy I have plenty of perfect cards that have centering issues that I'll never grade at this price. When they drop the fees down then I'll send about the same amount you have.

Honestly, they should do a deal where it's a Super-Bulk order (100 or more, etc...) for like $7 or $10 and I'd be all over it. Maybe even drop the graded value down to $125-$150.

I’m in this same boat. I used to send 2-3 hundred cards at a time when prices were lower. Most cards were worth under $100 if they hit the grade I was hoping for. If they ended up a grade lower they were worth around the cost to grade. I have thousands of cards ready to go if they get to $7-$10 again.

@msubearfan said:

@BBBrkrr said:

@miwlvrn said:

@Cakes said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I’m in this same boat. I used to send 2-3 hundred cards at a time when prices were lower. Most cards were worth under $100 if they hit the grade I was hoping for. If they ended up a grade lower they were worth around the cost to grade. I have thousands of cards ready to go if they get to $7-$10 again.

I like super bulk idea! Even if it started at 200 or more to begin. If they did that and gave good pricing I would be willing to wait up to a year for the results.

^^^^^ What this guy says! ^^^^^

@BBBrkrr said:
    ^^^^^ What this guy says! ^^^^^

Thanks BB but I just copied your idea and added to it. :D

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2023 2:39PM

I have about 4,000 cards I've been holding. With this latest special, I'll send in a hundred or so. They will all be cards valued at $150-$199. My limit is about10% in terms of the value PSA pulls out of the card. That sets the limit at $150 when talking about a $15 grading fee. Of course you have to add in shipping both ways, so I'm really spending more than 10% on grading for the $150 cards. I don't think it's very sustainable. The amount of $150+ cards in the hobby isn't enough to keep the grading rooms full. And there aren't enough collectors who are willing to pay 20%+ of the value of a card to grade it. Something will have to give. Dealers certainly have a tough time making ends meet when they're paying 10% to grade a card and then paying the selling platform to move the product. I can see them going back to selling raw. Either grading fees will need to go down or the grading capacity will need to be reduced.

Eggs used to be $1.50 a dozen a couple of years ago, now they are $7. Grading is no different. Inflation is making costs rise abnormally higher than we are accustomed to. So the $15, while it seems a little high, might be as good as gets. inflation numbers are still high and costs are still going to go up more for the next few months.

• I'm waiting to read about recent results (and hopefully lower rates) before subbing anything, which I haven't done for many years. Instead, over the past 10 or so years I've picked up '70s and early '80s graded and raw cards with the intention of subbing the better raw cards (and possibly some SGC crossovers and PSA/SGC crack and resubmits) one of these days. My biggest fear is that cards I expect to get 8's and 9's (and possibly a 10 or two) will come back a grade or two lower than what I truly believe they deserve. Continuing to buy cards that were graded under the standards I grew accustomed to years ago may end up being my best bet in the end though. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not push the $199 deflated value envelope. If you get a bump charge, you are happy.

From my first grading I got back about 5 months ago, there seems to be a heightened awareness of the cardboard itself, vs the print on the cardboard. SO, if the cardboard has a flaw, the grade is lowered. Several of the 6's I got back on the 1973's had near perfect centering, solid edges and sharp corners, barely if any white on the back corners. Visually, without inspecting the card as close up as possible, most of the 1973's look like PSA 8's and 9's. In fact I used a magnifying lens to review the corners and edges before I sent them in.

Several of the 6's I reviewed myself, I could not see any flaws, certainly nothing to take the cards to a 6. and then on some I would see a very slight cardboard issue, not a crease, just a very small flaw in the cardboard that had probably been there since they printed the card. Barely noticeable at all. SO these small issues would have received an 8 in prior gradings, now they are 6's or 7's.

It's funny because a lot of the 1980 Rickey Henderson's PSA 9's have a small circle indention on the top left of the card, that for years was overlooked. i sent one in without the indention and the card was very sharp and I got an 8.

So there appears to be a little more concentration on the cardboard itself versus the print and handling of the card. I guessed the right grade about 50% of the time. Just an observation.

I used to LOVE ripping and grading but OLB is 100% correct. Along with the higher grading costs, PSA's new grading techniques on vintage has forced me to stop ripping. As a result I'm missing something I've spent years/decades doing.

Ripping is so much fun, but I've mostly stopped doing it. It has to be a GREAT deal on the box, etc... It's really not worth the effort anymore, and that's a real bummer. It's also not good for PSA.

@BBBrkrr said:
    I used to LOVE ripping and grading but OLB is 100% correct. Along with the higher grading costs, PSA's new grading techniques on vintage has forced me to stop ripping. As a result I'm missing something I've spent years/decades doing.

Ripping is so much fun, but I've mostly stopped doing it. It has to be a GREAT deal on the box, etc... It's really not worth the effort anymore, and that's a real bummer. It's also not good for PSA.

I am in the same boat and it's sad. Unfortunately I will have a hole in my collection as I haven't bought much since 2020.

• I really wonder why people are willing to pay the prices they do for unopened product when the economics of ripping and grading don't pencil out anymore. I can't imagine having a box sitting in my closet year after year and never knowing what hidden treasures might be patiently waiting to be discovered. I wouldn't have the willpower to leave it unopened for very long, which is why I don't buy unopened product unless I plan to rip it. The most I've paid for a wax pack was about $100 ('74 OPC baseball) which I ripped immediately upon receiving it; the only card potentially worth grading was an Aaron Special with a wax stain on the rear. Sadly, my days of ripping 70's and early 80's OPC (and the occasional Topps) baseball are for the most part just a fond memory at this point; it was fun while it lasted!

i picked up an 1987 leaf box from a sealed case in raleigh back in december. i paid $275 and that's the highest i have ever paid for an unopened box. the guy was a dealer back in the 80's and it was the last box he had of the leaf.