Options

The least skilled Legends in all sports

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2, 2023 6:15AM in Sports Talk

Example

Shaq

Poor free throw shooter
Average to poor mid range shooter

Yes he was dominant down low, but so was Moses Malone who was also an excellent free throw and mid range shooter.

Who else ?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aaron Rodgers, great talent except he just can't seem to win in the playoffs anymore

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Josh Allen, great Regular Season QB but can't seem to get far in the playoffs

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terry Bradshaw?? Joe Namath??

Jim Rice, Catfish Hunter, David Ortiz??
    Don Mattingly, Steve Garvey??

How do you define "Legend"?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Example

Shaq

Poor free throw shooter
    Average to poor mid range shooter

Yes he was dominant down low, but so was Moses Malone who was also an excellent free throw and mid range shooter.

Who else ?

Imagine if Shaq could make his free throws....

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Aaron Rodgers, great talent except he just can't seem to win in the playoffs anymore

This is silly. He's clearly nowhere near "least skilled".

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

This topic is silly to begin with and not sure why the OP started it.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the world of professional wrestling I would have to say Hulk Hogan. All show and hype with obvious mike skills but his in ring skills were non-existent. And yes, I know it's all scripted, but there is an art to the in ring skills to make it look realistic to the naked eye.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    In the world of professional wrestling I would have to say Hulk Hogan. All show and hype with obvious mike skills but his in ring skills were non-existent. And yes, I know it's all scripted, but there is an art to the in ring skills to make it look realistic to the naked eye.

My day of watching ended while it was still WWF, but I am sure the world of pro wrestling would yield some good answers.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

Nah, not even close. Hogan had a ton of great matches in his career, especially over in Japan.

The Sheik (not Iron Sheik but The Sheik), Abdullah the Butcher, Ultimate Warrior, Andre the Giant, and a whole host of other legends were far less skilled than Hogan.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

This is silly. He's clearly nowhere near "least skilled".

Correct. Dan Marino would certainly fit in the same category because of his post season record. Re: Rodgers ... Most of the blame if you wanted to assign it should be with the GB administration.
    Poor front office. I cannot remember anyone jumping up and down with joy after being drafted/traded to GB. Maybe someone here can.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

as i recall, Tim Duncan was also a pretty bad free throw shooter.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Nah, not even close. Hogan had a ton of great matches in his career, especially over in Japan.

The Sheik (not Iron Sheik but The Sheik), Abdullah the Butcher, Ultimate Warrior, Andre the Giant, and a whole host of other legends were far less skilled than Hogan.

Oh I can name a whole list of lesser skilled guys than Hogan also, but if we're talking legendary status in my opinion Hogan is tops. The guy was a great showman and put butts in the seats. He was all flash and show. I agree with those you listed but the only one of those who meets "legendary" status is Andre. Not legendary, but if you remember Bob Backlund, I believe he had some of the best in-ring skills of anyone.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Oh I can name a whole list of lesser skilled guys than Hogan also, but if we're talking legendary status in my opinion Hogan is tops. The guy was a great showman and put butts in the seats. He was all flash and show. I agree with those you listed but the only one of those who meets "legendary" status is Andre. Not legendary, but if you remember Bob Backlund, I believe he had some of the best in-ring skills of anyone.

The guys I mentioned ARE legends. The world of pro wrestling exists outside the US, too :)

I was a big fan of Backlund even with all his flaws.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

The guys I mentioned ARE legends. The world of pro wrestling exists outside the US, too :)

I respectfully disagree regarding the "legendary" status of those you mentioned except Andre, but it doesn't mean they aren't to someone/somewhere else. And yes, I understand wrestling is worldwide. I have been watching it since the early days of Ric Flair in the mid 70's. Ultimate Warrior (RIP) was, in my opinion, a flash in the pan who had a relatively short career and I would not even remotely put him in the "legendary" class imho. When did you first start watching wrestling? I would assume a long time ago since you are familiar with Backlund. What were the first wrestling orgs that you watched? I began with Championship Wrestling from Florida in the 70's with the great Gordon Solie.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

I respectfully disagree regarding the "legendary" status of those you mentioned except Andre, but it doesn't mean they aren't to someone/somewhere else. And yes, I understand wrestling is worldwide. I have been watching it since the early days of Ric Flair in the mid 70's. Ultimate Warrior (RIP) was, in my opinion, a flash in the pan who had a relatively short career and I would not even remotely put him in the "legendary" class imho. When did you first start watching wrestling? I would assume a long time ago since you are familiar with Backlund. What were the first wrestling orgs that you watched? I began with Championship Wrestling from Florida in the 70's with the great Gordon Solie.

Yeah, Warrior only lasted about 12 years.

I started in 1983 with Georgia and the WWF.