Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I made a rookie mistake

After 20 years of submitting cards, I totally forgot to measure cards from a 25 card submission I sent in. Grades just popped and had 7/25 issued N6: Min Size Req. These were all fresh pack pulls, but I totally forgot to check for factory miscuts on size, ugh. Just a reminder to everyone.

On a more positive note, the $15 non sports special had a 30 day turn around, which was a pleasure after my last 1 year turn around sub. 7/25 GEM 10 & 7/25 MINT 9 ....$15 is the new $5 special (remember those days!)

Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand what you did wrong. We have countless reports here of N6s eventually being graded. Also, you don't get charged for an N6, so there really is no harm to you.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2023 1:13AM

It would suck if you sent in like just a couple cards or something, where the shipping fees would be a sunk cost, but since you don't get charged for N6 and you have 18 graded cards coming back, it's not like you lost the shipping cost. Now if they had said they were trimmed/altered and charged you for grading, then you would have screwed up!

• Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

Well, I think I am just frustrated. I spent a lot of time examining a high volume of cards to get the submission together. I suppose you are correct and I should be happy about what is coming back.

Have a 79 card submission of the same type about to pop, wondering if the N6 rate will be similar.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to believe 7 out of 25 cards pulled from packs were too small.
    Any reason you can think of?
    Were they all the same/similar type cards?
    I have been sending cards to PSA for about 30 years and that is unheard of.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

all 25 from one box (36 packs)

• Options

That makes a little more sense, but I am going to assume the cards came randomly throughout the box.
    I guess you will just have to look at them when they come back.
    Still hard to believe. Please let us know how they measure when you have them in hand.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

What were they?

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

SGC will grade those cards if you get N6 from PSA

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2023 2:30PM

@JoeBanzai said:

You most likely have never submitted 1986 Fleer Sticker Kareem Abdul Jabbar cards? B) They are notorious for minsizerq for zero reason on these (they clearly know they are factory-cut and untrimmed but they consistently refuse to grade them).

Or, you may have never submitted absolutely mint condition 50s-70s cards, because PSA loves to mark those minsizerq also to test the will of low volume submitters or to maintain population control... B)

As @daltex said, just keep submitting your minsizerq and eventually PSA will own up to the reality that they are factory-cut enough for a number grade.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

You most likely have never submitted 1986 Fleer Sticker Kareem Abdul Jabbar cards? B) They are notorious for minsizerq for zero reason on these (they clearly know they are factory-cut and untrimmed but they consistently refuse to grade them).

Or, you may have never submitted absolutely mint condition 50s-70s cards, because PSA loves to mark those minsizerq also to test the will of low volume submitters or to maintain population control... B)

As @daltex said, just keep submitting your minsizerq and eventually PSA will own up to the reality that they are factory-cut enough for a number grade.

The vast majority are trimmed short but not all of them. I personally like the fact that they won't grade the undersized ones. I do find it interesting that they will still sell raw at a decent price on Ebay even when you note that they are undercut.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not a rookie mistake. A rookie mistake is using PP friends and family and getting burned.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@JoeBanzai said:

True, true and more truth. I have about a dozen from 77/78/79 that have all been returned with the dreaded N6. Now that a new special is upon us they'll all be going right back for another round of rejections (probably).

They'll keep going until someone there relents.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometime before The End of the World I submitted four of the same factory set. I don't remember which, now. All the cards in one of the sets were returned N6. :(

• Options
    edited February 2, 2023 9:22PM

@secretstash said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Never submitted the Jabbar stickers, but have submitted plenty of mint 50's-70's cards. Never had 30% of a sub come back too small.
    That's why I asked what cards were sent in.

• Options

1991 Pro Set Music Cards

• Options

^^You did well on the ones that graded!
    I have some of these, but have never sent any in for grading. I didn't think they had much resale value.
    Are the Beatles in PSA 10 worth much?

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    I have some of these, but have never sent any in for grading. I didn't think they had much resale value.

Just listed on eBay, I will let you know. I have done well with these in the past, but I am sure I was the only one dabbling at the time, now there are multiple sellers offering these. The 10's do sell, price discovery though is all over the place.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

I am curious too. Which Musicians are worth the most?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I am curious too. Which Musicians are worth the most?

Look at the Pop Report, you will see which cards are by far graded the most, these are the popular ones.

• Options

• Options

Just took a look at some that sold on eBay.

Looks like only a few go for over $50 in a 10.

L L Cool J -$127.00! Didn't see any of the Beatles though.

I always liked these.

• Options

I seriously don't get the inconsistency with PSA and N6s. When people are able to re-submit and get the cards slabbed later, they obviously are not following a consistent or scientific process on their end.

I just had an order arrive where I expected one card to come back as N6. I just sent it in anyway because they don't charge you, and I figured no harm. It was a quite new 2020 Metal Universe PMG, and I've had one of them from the same set returned N6 previously. Well, they slabbed it. Instead, they determined a different card in my order was N6 which was really disappointing. If I compare the 2 cards, the PMG is actually a smaller cut card than the other one that came back N6.

I think either they mixed up these 2 cards in my order in terms of which one was supposed to be N6 or they really have no idea what they are doing in terms of measuring cards for N6. I'll be resubmitting this other card in a future order.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

Being that all the cards were from the same set, I can get how you can have so many N6's in one submission. Pro Set def had some cutting issues back in the day when they were creating these and like the first hockey set, card sizes were all over the place, so I'm sure that many were cut short.