Home Sports Talk

Jordan or Lebron (will soon become all-time NBA point leader) GOAT?

I pick Jordan what about you?

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Comments

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

People will compare these two forever and I doubt there will ever be a consensus agreement. A strong case can be made for either player and it's probably better to appreciate each man's career and let posterity sort out their comparative greatness.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

don't forget The GOAT missed 2 prime years (probably from his own discretions)

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jordan was a lunatic when it came to winning, I've never seen an athlete that hated to lose more than Michael Jordan. If Lebron and Jordan went head to head, Jordan would chew him up and spit him out. A funny story about Jordan and his obsession with winning, back in 1992 in the Barcelona Olympics, Jordan and Christian Laettner were teammates on the dream team. During their down hours when they weren't playing or practicing, the dream team would play ping pong at their hotel and hold little ping pong tournaments. Well, one night Jordan and Christian Laettner met in the finals of the ping pong tournament, and as it happened, Christian Laettner was very good at ping pong and he beat Jordan in the finals. This didn't sit well with Jordan, he threw the ping pong paddle down in anger and he was so upset that he didn't talk to anyone for two days. So what does Jordan do? Come to find out, Jordan sends someone out to purchase a ping pong table, he has it delivered to his hotel room, and he stays in his hotel room for hours and hours practicing. He finally demands a rematch with Christian Laettner and destroys Laettner something like 21-4. I forget his name, but the photographer for the dream team witnessed all of this.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2023 6:32PM

Jordan play against the Bad Boy Pistons at the time. It was a real slugfest out on the court. The "Flopper" would have quit as soon as Laimbeer knocked him on his ass trying to drive to the basket. Different times - can't really compare.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

edited February 1, 2023 6:33PM

This didn't sit well with Jordan, he threw the ping pong paddle down in anger and he was so upset that he didn't talk to anyone for two days

That sounds like something a 10 year old would do. I was taught in High School that the true measure of a man is how he loses.

@Maywood said:

I was taught in High School that the true measure of a man is how he loses.

HA! Jordan taught his High School coach how to win! LOL!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

That sounds like something a 10 year old would do.

Speaking of something a 10yr old would do...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9yjtFFXuB4

Sorry, I couldn't resist lol! Lebron better be careful that he doesn't pull out some of those hair plugs of his. 😎

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jordan faced much tougher opponents. And he lost a few years playing baseball.

Jordan faced much tougher opponents.

Yeah, those Golden State Warriors from a few years ago were sure slouches!!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michael Jordan has my vote

Knight recalled a time when he called out Jordan at halftime of the gold-medal game against Spain. The U.S. was cruising at the half, but Knight still wanted to light a fire under the team to prevent any second-half letdown. He decided to get on Jordan, who had a sensational first half.

“We’re ahead by 28 points at the half,” Knight said during a 1993 interview. Jordan has played 11 minutes. He has 19 points, 12 rebounds, and nine assists (the box score did dispute these numbers) in 11 minutes. We played the game about as well as basketball can be played.

“I’m a big believer in let’s play better in the second half than the first half. I’m walking across the floor and I’m saying to myself, ‘what the hell am I gonna say here to get us to play any better?’ Usually, I don’t have a problem with this. I’m at the locker room door. I open it, and the first guy I see in the locker room is Michael. An idea hits me. I’m going to jump on Jordan a little bit.”

Knight said he wanted to go after Jordan for one reason. “These other guys are going to say, ‘if he’s that upset with Jordan, what does he think about me?’ I walk over to Michael’s locker. Now, remember, 11 minutes, 19 points, 12 rebounds, and nine assists.

“I walk over and I say, ‘Mike, when in the hell are you going to set a screen? We had four guys out there screening. When the hell are you going to screen somebody, Mike? I mean all you’re doing is rebounding, passing, and scoring. Screen somebody out here.

“Mike looks up at me – the whole world knows Michael Jordan’s smile – and says, ‘Coach, didn’t I just read last week where you said I may be the quickest player you’ve ever been around?’ I said what the hell does that have to do with you screening? He said, ‘Coach, I think I set them quicker than you can see them.'”

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jordan for his finesse/acrobatics, Lebron for his power.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited February 3, 2023 10:22AM

Lebron goes into the Lakers/Pelicans game tomorrow afternoon needing 63pts to pass Kareem,might as well break the record with a really memorable game scoring 60+.

edit: LA's next home game is on tuesday vs the Thunder, he'll likely break the record then in front of Lakers fans w/Kareem probably in the house.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

The ball looks the size of a softball in the picture.

@JoeBanzai said:
    This guy.

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

Sure Lebron has faced a few tough teams but nothing like in Jordan's time.

@KingOfMorganDollar said: Sure Lebron has faced a few tough teams but nothing like in Jordan's time.

There's just no reckoning with objectivity on this subject. Fans who believe Jordan was better and fans that believe James is better can cite point after point to support their view but it proves nothing, really. In a way that's the great thing about "Sports" because the debates go on and on.

Tell me, what do you think about the competition from the Celtics golden era with Bill Russell?? I suppose it couldn't match the "Jordan" era, right?? I get the hero worship angle.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere on the earth there is now (or will in the future be) a talented young person (he, she, it and or them) that will eclipse MJ, LeBron and Bill Russell to become the undisputed GOAT.

All by the time this person turns 18 years old. B)

edited February 3, 2023 3:42PM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@Maywood said:

Sure Lebron has faced a few tough teams but nothing like in Jordan's time.

I wouldn't totally agree with that statement.
    MJ had to go thru some tough Eastern conference teams over the years like Boston & Detroit who both won championships during his era, then looking at all of the teams he faced in the Finals: Blazers,Lakers,Sonics,Suns & Jazz twice. Only the Lakers from that group won a title during MJ's career and that was the back end of their dynasty and the only time he faced them in the playoffs.

Lebron had faced some tough Eastern conference teams as well in Boston,Miami & Detroit who all won titles on their own during his era. Then in the Finals went up against Dynasty level teams in San Antonio (2-1 vs Lebron In Finals) and Golden State (3-1 vs Lebron in Finals) while also losing to the Mavs and beating the Thunder & Heat. (editoutside of his bubble title while with the Lakers,i really don't consider his Lakers teams as contenders with where they ultimately finished in the standings. Had Anthony Davis been healthy for a full season the team would have been a legit contender.)

I'm arguably the biggest Jordan honk on this site but Lebron's competition has been just as tough as MJ's,imho. Not counting their Finals opponents, each player faced plenty of teams that weren't good enough to win titles but were definitely contenders at the time.

@SanctionII said:
    Somewhere on the earth there is now (or will in the future be) a talented young person (he, she, it and or them) that will eclipse MJ, LeBron and Bill Russell to become the undisputed GOAT.

All by the time this person turns 18 years old. B)

Are we talkin' "Bronnie"?

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jordan, but, I have always been more of a Bird or Jabbar person...................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lebron will hold most of the records.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

@SanctionII said: Somewhere on the earth there is now (or will in the future be) a talented young person (he, she, it and or them) that will eclipse MJ, LeBron and Bill Russell to become the undisputed GOAT.

I'm not so certain of this any more than I believe any NFL player(s) will ever accomplish what Tom Brady has done. Surely players may forge ahead past some of the personal records but it's hard to envision a player "eclipsing" any of them, especially the titles held by Russell and Brady. Part of my reasoning is the way that contracts and signings are done today and the fact that every professional sport is undergoing changes for safety. You can almost read the writing on the wall that says sports are headed for some changes in the next decade.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jordan for me. all day

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

edited February 6, 2023 8:47AM

Jordan Rules:

To prepare for playing the Bulls, The Bad Boys created what is known as the "Jordan rules". It wasn't a secret that the Bulls were almost a one-man team, with Jordan as the show's star. So, the Pistons created a rule to contain him by keeping him on the ground. And when he would go up, get the most out of a foul.