Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

eBay Standard Envelope

eBay’s Standard Envelope is 0.60. Can a sports card in a Card Saver 1 in a small bubble envelope which weighs less than 3 ounces qualify?

Comments

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Jim

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2023 5:02AM

Use these for this application:

https://ebay.com/itm/254808890842

They are rigid, not flexi. They do a sufficient job of protection for under-$20 value items in CS1

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

One more point, it's not 60 cents for 3 ounces. The price goes slightly higher with every ounce, up to 3 ounces. But, it's still a great way to ship sold items.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

They are rigid, not flexi. They do a sufficient job of protection for under-$20 value items in CS1

Technically per line D, these are NOT supported because they are rigid. Items need to be flexible/bendable to run through the sorting machine.

• eBay’s Standard Envelope has some sort of non USPS tracking. How does it work?

@Yankeefan320 said:
    eBay’s Standard Envelope has some sort of non USPS tracking. How does it work?

The tracking with eBay envelope is not "real' tracking in the sense that there is no barcode that the mailman scans at delivery, let alone a USPS employee can scan at acceptance. The tracking is based on scans of the postage QR code in sorting machines to show progress, and then it shows delivered after a set amount of time from the sorting scan at the machine closest to the delivery location. This is why a lot of peeps will complain that the item shows delivered but they don't have it, and then it shows up a day or two later. It is a pitney -bowes invention.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you had any familiarity at all with how these semi-rigid envelopes move through automation (and the problems that they cause), causing them ending up in manual sorting, only for management to then send them back to automation, then back to manual sorting, then back to automation, rinse, wash, repeat (the reasons for the multi-day delay), you would never want your own cards shipped in this manner. I've banged the drum on this to no avail. To each his own.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

@miwlvrn said:

Technically per line D, these are NOT supported because they are rigid. Items need to be flexible/bendable to run through the sorting machine.

Yes, technically true. However, my experience is that they make it through the USPS system with this postage category every time without being turned down / returned and without being delivered with postage due. But like stated here, the tracking and delivery confirmation is half-a'd. They are only worth using on items that are low enough value that it is worth the risk of shipping without additional protection. These are almost always the items that no one would ever purchase if they had to add on $4 to $5 for higher quality shipping. So, if you'd rather spend time shipping cheap cards instead of just throwing them out, this method is a good solution to that.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@miwlvrn said:

..........items that are low enough value that it is worth the risk of shipping without additional protection.......

We all know eBay so it can always change, but at the moment there is absolutely no risk whatsoever to the seller or buyer.

edited February 2, 2023 12:30PM

@miwlvrn said:

They are only worth using on items that are low enough value that it is worth the risk of shipping without additional protection.

There really is no risk as you get upto $20 in free insurance per card when you use Standard Envelope, so if it is damaged in shipping or lost, you will still get paid!

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Having to keep records for taxes now even more, I looked back and since the beginning of the Standard Envelope, I have shipped out over 300, with none being returned or damaged. I did have one get lost, but during the same time, I had two first class get lost, so I dont see any danger in it at all, in fact, when considering that the cost for a first class bubble mailer is approaching $5.00, I dont even see that as an alternative for the $20 or less items

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really think experiences vary. I read a lot of people having issues, then I read that it was much better. I started doing standard envelope a couple months back and I've maybe only done about 50. I had one that said delivered but didn't show. A $7 card and I refunded the buyer after he contacted me 3 weeks later. Funny thing was, it finally showed up a week after or so after that. I had another one recently that was about 3 weeks not delivered. It showed back up at my house with the mail lady saying I needed to pay .39. How that is even possible, I don't know. I had purchased .60 shipping and never had another one with postage due. They all get shipped exactly the same way.
    That guy requested a refund because it didn't show up. It was the same day it came back to me. I told him that I had to pay extra postage and to give it a bit. He waited a week and requested a refund and Ebay approved it. Maybe it will show up, maybe it won't. I made the mistake of it being a $17 card. Since I won't ship anything that way over $10.
    Now, I know that some have suggested that you are insured up to $20 and that is true. But from what I could see, the process is a pain in the *ss to file a claim. Should be pretty simple but it doesn't appear to be.
    I'm just going to continue to use it for lower $$ stuff as I think it is a good for the buyer. I just with the process thru USPS was better.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Now, I know that some have suggested that you are insured up to $20 and that is true. But from what I could see, the process is a pain in the *ss to file a claim. Should be pretty simple but it doesn't appear to be.

Not sure how you think this claim form is a pain in the anus!?!?!

https://www.pip-claim.com/PIPClaim/eBayIntClaim/CreateeBayClaim

@RufussCkingston said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

Not sure how you think this claim form is a pain in the anus!?!?!

https://www.pip-claim.com/PIPClaim/eBayIntClaim/CreateeBayClaim

Lol, it's been a few weeks back so I don't remember exactly. If I remember correctly, you have to take screen shots of stuff, etc. I mean, it should be as easy as just providing the tracking number and showing that it was never delivered.

I will say, I am lazy when it comes to that stuff, though, lol!

Upload a screenshot of your eBay Order Details for this sale. This should come from your item detail link found on My eBay summary page once logged into eBay.com. (*Required Field)

No file chosen

Upload a copy of Buyer's message about the lost or damaged package. This should come from eBay messenger. (*Required Field)

• @RufussCkingston said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

The tracking with eBay envelope is not "real' tracking in the sense that there is no barcode that the mailman scans at delivery, let alone a USPS employee can scan at acceptance. The tracking is based on scans of the postage QR code in sorting machines to show progress, and then it shows delivered after a set amount of time from the sorting scan at the machine closest to the delivery location. This is why a lot of peeps will complain that the item shows delivered but they don't have it, and then it shows up a day or two later. It is a pitney -bowes invention.

For my 1st time using it so far I have been very happy with eBay’s tracking via Pitney Bowes. It’s better than I expected!

• @RufussCkingston said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

For my 1st time using it so far I have been very happy with eBay’s tracking via Pitney Bowes. It’s better than I expected!