Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Stats on the "Review Service"

I'd be curious to know if PSA has ever released historical statistics on the % of cards that are submitted for the "Reviewed Service" and the grade is actually improved. If not, anyone care to take a guess? 10%? 20%?
I have 55 graded cards (all PSA 9's) that I'd like to submit for review, and I think if the grade was improved on 15% of them, I'd be happy. What has been your experience with submitting cards for review hoping for a higher grade?

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2023 6:20PM

My experience with submitting is about 25%. I have never had a 9 cross to a 10 but have some bump a full grade from 8-9. I used to crack and submit and did ok as well but found out that the review worked just as well for me. I don't send a lot in for review but I do when I think the card is really under-graded.

Post some picts of your best 9's you are thinking submitting for review and this board will be able to give you some insight on if they have a decent chance or not. Hope this helps.

• Options

bump

• Options

bump one last time.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

0 for 10 on my last review sub. All 9’s. Would have been worth it for even one 10.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2023 8:06PM

Here are my successes:

1986 Fleer Jordan 9 to 10 (sold)
    1968 Ryan RC (PWCC-E) 8 to 8.5
    1969 Reggie RC 8.5 to 9 (sold)
    1955 Topps Berra 8.5 to 9
    1959 Maris 8.5 to 9
    1968 Bench RC GAI- 9 to PSA-9 (cracked out/sold)
    1965 Morgan RC 8.5 to 9
    1958 Banks SBC-7 to PSA-8 (cracked out/sold)
    1969 Ryan PSA-8 (PWCC-E) to 8.5 (sold)

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Ok, I just sent in 50 baseball cards to get reviewed. 90% of them are already PSA 9's. All but 5 are 80's & 90's Tiffany rookie cards (valuable). The other 5 are 2019 and 2020 Bowman Chrome Draft refractor autos (golds, blacks, and an orange). It was probably a stupid move on my part at a cost of $2k+, but if I get 4-5 upgraded, I'll be happy. I plan to hold onto them for a long time. I probably wouldn't have done this is I was just interested in flipping. I'll replay with my results.
    Wish me luck!
    Brett

• Options

@butler1848 said:
    Ok, I just sent in 50 baseball cards to get reviewed. 90% of them are already PSA 9's. All but 5 are 80's & 90's Tiffany rookie cards (valuable). The other 5 are 2019 and 2020 Bowman Chrome Draft refractor autos (golds, blacks, and an orange). It was probably a stupid move on my part at a cost of $2k+, but if I get 4-5 upgraded, I'll be happy. I plan to hold onto them for a long time. I probably wouldn't have done this is I was just interested in flipping. I'll replay with my results.
    Wish me luck!
    Brett

Wow, best of luck! I hope you get a few upgrades especially with that cost. Keep us posted how you make out with it.

• Options

Question: What is the cheapest service level you can use with Review submissions?

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭✭

@MarshallFaulk28 said:
    Question: What is the cheapest service level you can use with Review submissions?

Value Plus at $40

• Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 444 ✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2023 9:04AM

After the OP "pushed" me a little and published his PSA "review" questions, and the Forum suggested photos to aid in his decision - I finally decided to ask the group for opinions about five cards that I pulled out a while ago and wanted to get reviewed. Never got around to it... Covid - PS not attending the Philly Show anymore - and simple lack of time...

Please offer your opinion as to whether these are:
    Review Worthy
    Crack and Resubmit Worthy
    A Waste of Time and Money
    .... or any other pertinent commentary

Depending on how I do here - I may dig a little deeper to see if there are any more candidates the share.

EDITED ....
    Pulled the scans due to "dusty scanner"
    Will repopulate tomorrow....

Thanks - Steve

Further Edit:
    Scans Updated after a De-Dusting.
    Again, all opinions welcome!

Thanks Again,
    Steve

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Value Plus at $40

Thanks!

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that dust on your scanner for the '74 Rose and '61 Yaz (cap) or print snow? If the latter, they won't bump. For what you've shown, I think the Banks has the best chance to bump. Maybe the Murcer could get an 8.5. To get a 9, you really can't show any white along the edges/corners under loupe.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 491 ✭✭✭

I do not have an eye for grading but to me it looks like some of those grades look to be very generous. I got many PSA 8 that look so many times better then those there. I think it has to do with the inconsistencies from PSA grading.

• Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 444 ✭✭✭

Cleaned up and Updated the scans.

Thanks for looking...
    Steve

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals