Home U.S. Coin Forum

Experience in submitting formerly stickered coins to CAC

liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a gold dollar that was formerly CAC approved as 64+ and 64. It was resubmitted to PCGS hoping for uprade and came back as 64. It was then resubmitted to CAC and not approved. I have photos that prove it is the same coin. Has anyone had success it submitting that kind of history to CAC and having them change their mind?

liefgold

Comments

  • DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Did you send the photos in with the coin when you resubmitted to CAC?

  • liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DeplorableDan said:
    Did you send the photos in with the coin when you resubmitted to CAC?

    I did not. Thinking of resending with them this time.

    liefgold
  • 1madman1madman Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Your coin keeps getting submitted for services, and basically keeps downgrading. (Lost the +, lost the cac sticker)

    What’s the purpose of doing that?

  • DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @liefgold said:

    @DeplorableDan said:
    Did you send the photos in with the coin when you resubmitted to CAC?

    I did not. Thinking of resending with them this time.

    I would indeed try that, maybe with a little note that the coin was previously CAC approved 😉

  • DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @lermish said:
    For future submissions, you might want to use the Reconsideration (to keep grade and CAC) or Regrade (to keep grade) service so you don't have the potential of downgrades if things don't go your way.

    Agreed. I assume op thought it can go 65, and they’d have a better shot at that grade with a new submission. With “regrade” the coin is cracked out of its holder and graded, if it doesn’t upgrade it is slabbed at its original grade, and I would have used this or reconsideration after the coin already had a + and CAC.

    This exercise just goes to show grading is subjective and the graders are only human. PCGS graded it both a 64 and 64+, and CAC graded it both 64B and 64C, nothing unusual. Do send the pictures next time though.

  • liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks for the advice. Has anyone actually done this type of resubmission with success?
    I was not actually the person who owned and submitted the coin when it received CAC approvals. But I can show auction photos that prove it is the same coin.

    liefgold
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2023 9:35AM

    @1madman said:
    Your coin keeps getting submitted for services, and basically keeps downgrading. (Lost the +, lost the cac sticker)

    What’s the purpose of doing that?

    He's trying to make some money but it's a gamble and you have be prepared to lose.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • lermishlermish Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @liefgold said:
    Thanks for the advice. Has anyone actually done this type of resubmission with success?
    I was not actually the person who owned and submitted the coin when it received CAC approvals. But I can show auction photos that prove it is the same coin.

    That is usually enough along with a note but...because it is a new cert #, nothing is guaranteed. It's possible it picked up an issue getting cracked out, or in shipping, or someone dipped the coin, or they no longer agree with their own assessment. They may decline to re-sticker the coin (again).

  • liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @lermish said:

    That is usually enough along with a note but...because it is a new cert #, nothing is guaranteed. It's possible it picked up an issue getting cracked out, or in shipping, or someone dipped the coin, or they no longer agree with their own assessment. They may decline to re-sticker the coin (again).

    Thanks. It is a pretty big jump in value for the sticker, so probably worth the attempt.

    liefgold
  • liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

    here is the coin:

    liefgold
  • DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Based on the images, I would have been more than content with a 64+CAC. Not sure why someone attempted to get that into a 65 holder

  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

    From what I have read, CAC is rather understanding of coins that were previously stickered, but then went back for reconsideration. However, I would imagine the bar would be quite a bit higher if a coin were previously stickered and then cracked out and resubmitted, which is what appears to have happened to this coin. If it were sent in for reconsideration then you would have the paperwork trail from the submission to provide with the coin and CAC could feel confident that the surfaces were not changed between grading events. By cracking the coin out and sending it in as a raw piece then CAC cannot be as confident that the coin hadn't been altered and might be much more likely to view it as an entirely new submission.

    I know that if I ran CAC that I would view all coins cracked out and submitted again as having no CAC history and would give them no benefit of the doubt. Good luck!

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • 1madman1madman Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DeplorableDan said:
    Based on the images, I would have been more than content with a 64+CAC. Not sure why someone attempted to get that into a 65 holder

    Completely agree. Thanks for posting the pictures. I think the coin is accurately graded/slabbed as a straight 64 non cac. Lots of tiny nicks all over the coin. You should be able to find a nicer example for your set.

  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Playing the upgrade game has its expense and risks. When I do I specify minimum grade. I cant imagine playing trying get both upgrade and resticker. Unless gold sticker no incentive for me play it.

    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file