Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can I get your opinions on this ebayer...

GregBGregB Posts: 9

I listed a series of PSA graded cards and then received this message ...

"Hi I'm interested in buying your 78 Munson plus other 78's in PSA 9 but the photos you provided are blurry. Can you please include better photos so I can see all four corners of the cards.
Thank you"

My reply, "Sorry, I'm out of town for business until Friday night, I won't have time to rescan the cards before the auctions end. If you are concerned about the corners, please keep in mind that the PSA 9's have been professionally graded in Mint condition. Thanks"

His reply, "Yes I know PSA has graded the card 9 but there are some 9's with wear on the corners. Yes it does not happen much but it does happen and therefore cannot be a Mint card. If you can guarantee to me that all four corners are sharp which they should be for a 9 that's fine with me."

The person has been an ebay member since January 2020 and has zero feedback, I'm concerned about him bidding on my auctions. I'm curious if you would reply to him again, ignore him, block him, etc. Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Comments

• Options

Wow, sorry the font size increased like that !!!

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

ignore him

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

Block him while you're at it

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me play "devils advocate".
    You see some cards listed you want, but the scans aren't great, so you contact the seller and he can't provide better ones. Would you be concerned?
    Do you accept returns?
    PSA 9's are usually what I buy, and the corners are almost always fine, so I wouldn't be as worried as this buyer, but he has a fair point, if the cards are over graded, and you don't accept returns, he's stuck with the cards.
    My advice would be, if you can't guarantee the corners are great, let him know that. In the future, post better pictures. You didn't provide a link to your auctions, so I couldn't look, but there are some poor images out there.
    Hope all goes well with your auctions!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just say without having the cards in hand you can't guarantee all the corners are sharp. Sounds like a potential trouble customer.

Daniel
  • Options

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275644877150

Joe, you make a really good point and I appreciate it. I will pick up a better scanner before I load more cards.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2023 7:09AM

I can't imagine what good a response would do at this point.

FWIW, no corners are perfect, given sufficient magnification, especially from 1978 Topps. PSA has deemed them sufficiently sharp to be a part of a mint card. This may or may not be sharp enough to satisfy any of us. These all are incontrovertible.

The only question remaining is how likely this guy is to be a problem if he were to win the auctions.

Links would be interesting, though ultimately my answer is the same regardless.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

Your scans are out of focus on the card itself, with that being said if I were buying them as 9's I'd be satisfied with the detail of the corners that I can see in those listings.

• Options
    tod41tod41 Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

The scans are slightly blurry but you can make out the corners.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GregB said:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/275644877150

Joe, you make a really good point and I appreciate it. I will pick up a better scanner before I load more cards.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Glad you took my advice in the way it was intended. My old scanner provided "fuzzy" scans on graded cards because it was trying to capture the image directly on the glass. I now have an Epson Perfection scanner it scans graded cards beautifully.

There are a couple of threads on the message boards discussing scanners. Even a used/older Epson like mine would be a good idea.

Beautiful cards by the way!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium typed in an earlier topic/thread about scanning graded material with the scanner lid open and with the lights out...um that technique that 51Wheaties talked about works Top-Notch for me... :)
    love the "Lights Out".... B)

• Options

i made the change from a 3-1 printer scanner to a v600 a few years ago. it was worth every penny. try scanning a PSA pack, an SGC card or the back or a PSA slab, it's impossible for it not to be blurry. on the V600 it comes out perfect

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice cards

• Options

You guys are the best, can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback, this is a huge help, thanks so much.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2023 2:42PM

@GregB said:
    You guys are the best, can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback, this is a huge help, thanks so much.

Check out my scanning guide in my signature. It covers the items mentioned in this thread. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Edit: I can tell you scanned with a CIS type scanner (not recommended for graded cards - see guide). The Epson V600 or another CCD type scanner will help greatly. Even as your scans are, they are better than 70% of what is see on eBay. But, they can be improved.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, it's assuredly just me, but I'd be reluctant to schedule an auction end for when I was out of town for a business trip. It's easy for me to envision a circumstance where I might want the cards in hand between [any given point in time] and the end of the auction. YMMV.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

Look, the guy wants to buy the card, not the flip... You can't knock him for that.

The photos are blurry, and while you can kinda make out the corners, you wouldn't know for sure without a non-blurry pic. He asked for pics, but you can't send them cause you are out of town till after the listing ends. So I don't think it is unreasonable for him to ask for a guarantee about the corners, but even that would be subjective as once you pull out a loupe, there is always degrees.

I'd tell him that if he wins the listing, you wills send him a clear scan and he can decide to pay or not pay. I think that makes the most sense and that way you don't have to deal with a return and worst case you just relist.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather take a photo of a slab with my iPhone over scanning with any kind of CIS scanner ever again. on my ebay auctions, I try to leave out any hint of ambiguity by providing the highest quality scans with my V600. ive never had a message asking for better photos. I know what I like in an auction, and I hate having to ask for better pictures. but some sellers take horrible blurry cropped photos and it can easily affect a sale. ive paid more for a card simply because the seller used a scanner with high resolution that allowed me to see every single detail (I know wha im getting) as opposed to buying the cheaper card where its a total blur.

your scans in your ebay auction is your advertising. take care and time to post high quality, unquestionable images, and your sales will improve. gotta look the part.

myslabs.to/smzcards