Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

"Bob" Clemente

It may have been covered here at some point...
I collect Clemente cards but have limited myself to only "Roberto" cards. Does the "Bob" thing bother anyone else? For what it's worth, he hated it.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it bothered me that they Americanized his name.
    Roberto played with a lot of flair and that name fits him perfectly.
    BTW I remember I was watching tv with my dad when they interrupted with a special bulletin saying his plane went down and a search was underway. He was my first favorite player.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2023 11:35PM

Yes…I much prefer Roberto to Bob. Call the HOF player by his given name…do not show disrespect by calling the man, Bob.

Even the voice of Pirates for 28 years, iconic Bob Prince, called him Bob.😖 I noted the misnomer while Bob Prince interviewed Roberto in the clubhouse following the 1971 WS in which Roberto was named MVP.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Similar to when they called Dick Allen "Richie".
    To make matters worse when he asked them to call him Dick, they then called him "call me Dick Allen".
    Bunch of jerks.
    The writers were brutal to Ted Williams as well.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has always bugged the Hell out of me, and I also refuse to spend money on anything "Bob" Clemente!

Steve

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we want to get technical his last name is actually Walker. Go check it out and if you understand Latin culture it is very common. Bob sounds more American so that is why you saw it early on when very few Latin players were in the major leagues.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

My understanding is that he was okay with Bob Prince calling him that (or even "Bobby") because he knew that Prince loved him and always stuck up for him at a time when many didn't.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    If we want to get technical his last name is actually Walker. Go check it out and if you understand Latin culture it is very common. Bob sounds more American so that is why you saw it early on when very few Latin players were in the major leagues.

Would you care to elaborate, because I've never heard anything like that before and Wikipedia (at least) suggests you're incorrect.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@KendallCat said:

Would you care to elaborate, because I've never heard anything like that before and Wikipedia (at least) suggests you're incorrect.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

In many South American cultures, traditionally, the first surname is the father's first surname, and the second is the mother's. It’s not a “technical” point.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Spanish names frequently append the mother's maiden name. In no way does that make it someone's last name. If you were to meet someone in Clemente's shoes and address him as "Mr. Walker" or even "Señor Walker" the reaction wouldn't be "How did you know my real name?" but "Who are you talking to?"

Understand that Spanish naming conventions don't "end" with the last name anymore than Japanese do, but instead just make "Mother's maiden name" an especially poor security question.

• Options

@daltex said:
    Yes, Spanish names frequently append the mother's maiden name. In no way does that make it someone's last name. If you were to meet someone in Clemente's shoes and address him as "Mr. Walker" or even "Señor Walker" the reaction wouldn't be "How did you know my real name?" but "Who are you talking to?"

Understand that Spanish naming conventions don't "end" with the last name anymore than Japanese do, but instead just make "Mother's maiden name" an especially poor security question.

Depends, I guess...

• Options

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

When visiting PR, It is nice to see so many different ways Roberto Clemente is honored and remembered to this day in Puerto Rico, such as current parking permits for residents in Old San Juan, license plates, etc.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

José Alberto Pujols Alcántara

Shane

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Iván Rodríguez Torres

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@KendallCat said:

I think the above posters have already helped out with the info you asked for and guess we need to tell Wiki they need to learn Latin culture. Guess that is what happens when a gringo who collects cards - guess I should have stated mi abuela es de Panama 😉