Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Won't Grade Card (???)

PSA returned ungraded a 1998 Pinnacle Mint #7 Ken Griffey card with "do not holder" on the sticker. Looking back at the order online, it appears with a "N9" code -- not graded due to being "obscure or not fitting holders". (The card is not an obscure version -- it's a die-cut, base card for the set.) I emailed customer service and the response came back that it wasn't graded due to "sealing/holdering" issues. I pointed out to them that the card is a standard size card in both dimension and thickness and there shouldn't be a holdering problem. Now their stance is "we only grade the versions that have the coin affixed." (That would be the parallel versions of the card.)

In follow-up emails, I've asked for a valid reason why they wouldn't grade the card and they continually respond that they "only grade the versions that have the coin affixed", but won't provide an answer as to why they won't grade the base card for the set. I provided a reference for the card, but I doubt they've taken the time to look at it (http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1998_Pinnacle_Mint#Base_Set )

I've asked for either an answer that actually addresses my question or contact information for the customer service manager, but have yet to receive either. Anyone else experienced this issue?

Bob

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

That stinks.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

In the population data, have they previously graded any of these cards without the coin affixed?

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:
    In the population data, have they previously graded any of these cards without the coin affixed?

The population report shows 4 variations of the card, but none of them specifically indicate the "die cut" version.

However, good news -- after a few weeks of back-and-forth via email, I received a phone call from a customer service supervisor this morning and PSA has agreed to grade the die cut card as long as it doesn't have a coin submitted with it. They had rejected my "BaseballCardPedia" reference as "not an accredited source", but it appears that my follow-up reference from the Sports Collectors Digest "Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards" was instrumental in changing their minds. Even though I requested it, they never provided any information regarding what reference(s) they were using to make their determinations, but it's water under the bridge now.

Onward and upward!!!

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats - you’ve successfully increased PSA’s ability to generate revenue!

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, why would you even want it holdered without the coin? To me that is like having a patch card with the patch missing.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    fightfraud24fightfraud24 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2023 5:36PM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Out of curiosity, why would you even want it holdered without the coin? To me that is like having a patch card with the patch missing.

While of course I can't speak for the OP, as a Player Master Set collector myself, I want every different card issued
    to be able to be graded. I want the regular card graded as well Museum's Defux's, Refractors (all colored versions,
    Gold & Silver Autos, Company issued On Card Autos, Jersey/Bat/Base versions, Gold/Platinum Medallions, Pose &
    Color variations, etc, etc, etc,

While the PSA Set Registry staff means well, for many of them the only thing they really know about various cards
    and card collecting is what they glean from price guides (which can also have their shortcomings ).

Case in Point - 1999 Skybox Molten Metal Baseball - They were introduced at the 20th National in Atlanta, In
    the Standard Catalog of BB cards they state that Each of the show version cards has a small National Convention
    logo printed on back
    . PSA uses that note to insist there are cards with and WITHOUT the logo. But when you
    check auctions that show a scan of the back of the cards you will ALWAYS find the logo. You will even find the
    logo on PSA graded cards where the flip does not note it as a 20th Nat'l logo variation. This has resulted in slots
    in some Player Master sets for both logo and non-logo cards. Where are the non-logo cards hiding?

Apology for the rant. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

• Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

The coins are not actually a part of the card and are graded separately.

• Options

@fightfraud24 said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

While of course I can't speak for the OP, as a Player Master Set collector myself, I want every different card issued
    to be able to be graded. I want the regular card graded as well Museum's Defux's, Refractors (all colored versions,
    Gold & Silver Autos, Company issued On Card Autos, Jersey/Bat/Base versions, Gold/Platinum Medallions, Pose &
    Color variations, etc, etc, etc,

While the PSA Set Registry staff means well, for many of them the only thing they really know about various cards
    and card collecting is what they glean from price guides (which can also have their shortcomings ).

Case in Point - 1999 Skybox Molten Metal Baseball - They were introduced at the 20th National in Atlanta, In
    the Standard Catalog of BB cards they state that Each of the show version cards has a small National Convention
    logo printed on back
    . PSA uses that note to insist there are cards with and WITHOUT the logo. But when you
    check auctions that show a scan of the back of the cards you will ALWAYS find the logo. You will even find the
    logo on PSA graded cards where the flip does not note it as a 20th Nat'l logo variation. This has resulted in slots
    in some Player Master sets for both logo and non-logo cards. Where are the non-logo cards hiding?

Apology for the rant. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Collecting every variation is exactly why I wanted the die-cut variation (without coin) graded.

Over the years, I've also found that the Registry staff have their hands tied on a lot of issues including recognizing variations and item descriptions. It appears that the research/ID staff make the decisions and the Registry staff are bound by their decisions. However, I've found that Registry staff have been extremely helpful in many of me dealings with the research/ID staff. I've submitted more than my fair share of label corrections as well as Registry checklist corrections -- many of those errors going back more than a few years.

• Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    Congrats - you’ve successfully increased PSA’s ability to generate revenue!

It makes my Master set collection more complete/accurate.

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

While I don't know the dates of grading, it appears that they've graded 4 as of 5/8/2023. It looks like the issue is resolved -- unless they decide to change their minds again.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

BBCPedia is a sacred hobby institution! How can they not use that as a legitimate resource? It's one of the better online hobby resources there are. Before you had to be an actual coder in order to contribute to it I spent hours adding obscure information, checklists, pack odds, etc., to the site because I was such a fan.

Arthur