Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think this half cent is a conservation candidate?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited January 28, 2023 11:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here are the images. I've posted this coin before but not in consideration as a candidate for conservation
I was concerned this coin was "being eaten alive"
I would like to hear your thoughts.
Vinegar never entered my mind so no worries there.
Here is the coin-

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2023 11:51AM

I think the best hope for that coin is to use it as a pocket piece along with small change and let it wear down slowly and naturally to VF. I think most of the light surface issues and discoloration will disappear.

As is, there is no chemical treatment that will improve or restore the surfaces. Blue Ribbon or mineral oil will give it some gloss, but that’s about it.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you plan on keeping the coin, why not try a 6 month soak in cheap extra virgin olive oil. Can't hurt and may make it more presentable and may not, but again extremely small prive to pay.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

• Options

@Watchtower said:

Am I allowed to disagree with myself on my previous post/answer of “No”? 😀

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Watchtower said:

Am I allowed to disagree with myself on my previous post/answer of “No”? 😀

The difference in lighting made me question if it was the same coin 😂

• Options

Images were taken under the same conditions. Same phone camera and in the same spot. It's a natural image with no lighting. It wasn't necessary to be honest with you.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Well worth the cost. Great job, would not have thought so. You messed up, you should have let this run for the whole weekend. Responses would have been fun to read over. Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have said it was improvable, but it looks like the method used was too harsh and stripped the surfaces. Olive oil or blue ribbon would have been preferable.

• Options

@jesbroken
    I know what your saying but I didn't want to upset anyone especially Mark. I figured I had better post the coin.
    I did this myself with my own concoction. It took a lot of thinking back and fourth. I struggled with consternation. It boiled down to the fact that this coin deserved better and that I created a way to remove the crud without hurting the coin. I did need to gently work the surfaces with a pulled up qtip just to pull what was coming off of the coin out. It took all the patients I could muster. I barely touched the coin. I let the fibers from the qtip soak up the crud. It took me several hours.

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't look natural to my eye. Too bright and shiny for a 200+ year old coin. Old coppers, with rare exception, should look old. Just my opinion. What matters is if you like it better after being "conserved."

• Options

@Watchtower said:
    @jesbroken
    I know what your saying but I didn't want to upset anyone especially Mark. I figured I had better post the coin.
    I did this myself with my own concoction. It took a lot of thinking back and fourth. I struggled with consternation. It boiled down to the fact that this coin deserved better and that I created a way to remove the crud without hurting the coin. I did need to gently work the surfaces with a pulled up qtip just to pull what was coming off of the coin out. It took all the patients I could muster. I barely touched the coin. I let the fibers from the qtip soak up the crud. It took me several hours.

I wouldn’t have been upset about anything, either way. I guessed incorrectly and it wasn’t the first time.

• Options

@RLSnapper said:
    It doesn't look natural to my eye. Too bright and shiny for a 200+ year old coin. Old coppers, with rare exception, should look old. Just my opinion. What matters is if you like it better after being "conserved."

Guessing something acidic was used that removed the outer layer, including some of the copper. I’m standing by my original post. I thought the intent of the conservation was to get it market acceptable.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 28, 2023 1:18PM

One thing I learned when researching was that acid and copper absolutely do not mix. Walkerguy21D I respect your opinion completely. I just wanted to elaborate that this was not that simple.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another 150 years, and it might look pretty good!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

LOL your probably right. That is funny!
    Hopefully you are correct because the last 180 weren't to kind were they?

• Options

I agree that the eye appeal is better than it was.

@jmski52 said:

Along that line….here is a cent that was cleaned sometime prior to 1965. It came from a set the collector stopped working on about that time, stored in a Wayte Raymond album until about 2012, where it had started to mellow, then stored in a Kraft envelope by me since then, when I acquired it, at a steep discount.

Here’s a coin where the owner was less patient.
    My guess is that gun bluing or something similar was done, after the cleaning, then perhaps ms70 to give it that frosty look:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file