Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I have some Canada 1967's and trying to determine if SP, PL, or MS

I have some 1967's and trying to determine if SP, PL, or MS (I was going to bump 15year-old thread but decided to start new.)

It is my understanding the differences are method of manufacture.

Is another way of determining by original source.
If they came from the red or black simulated leather 6 coins and medal or gold then it is SP?
if they came from piloform 6 coin set then PL?
everything else MS?

if there are frosty fields then definitely MS?
can MS coins have frosty devices?

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2023 2:38PM

@davewesen said:
    I have some 1967's and trying to determine if SP, PL, or MS (I was going to bump 15year-old thread but decided to start new.)

It is my understanding the differences are method of manufacture.

Is another way of determining by original source.
    If they came from the red or black simulated leather 6 coins and medal or gold then it is SP?
    if they came from piloform 6 coin set then PL?
    everything else MS?

This is correct.

• The Red or Black cased coins often look like proofs with high detail because of the stronger strike pressure that also creates square rims. The coins were hand placed into and removed from the dies.
    • The pliofilm coins may have cameo devices depending on how freshly polished the dies were. They also have glassy looking fields because of the higher polishing of the dies and the slightly higher strike pressure than business strikes. The rims are typically squarish. The presses ran slower than the business strike.
    • The business strikes will have rounded rims and some details not struck as well due to lower pressures and faster feeding. These coins were made on rapid feeders and ejected into bins.

The kicker is when the special dies were worn enough not to be able to produce the specimen or PL issues they were sent to the business strike line. So the coins may have the specimen or PL look but will have rounded rims.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I looked at the silvers closer and the PL have sharper reeds.

I am still a crapshoot for the nickel and cent ... the inside edge of rim is rounded more?

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    I am still a crapshoot for the nickel and cent ... the inside edge of rim is rounded more?

Not sure what you're asking. Take a look at the pop reports for the BU, PL, + PR/SP. Look at the photos for each strike. The rim edges are different.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know pop reports have pictures, now I do. - thx