Home Q & A Forum
Options

Is This Coin A Candidate For Restoration?

WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 27, 2023 10:22PM in Q & A Forum

I saw this coin being offered for sale and wondered if you thought that it would greatly benefit from restoration by PCGS. Grade is MS 66 Gold CAC. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I’ve used PCGS Restoration successfully several times, I STRONGLY recommend that you NOT consider using that for this coin. I believe that if you did, you would not likely get an upgrade from PCGS, and I also believe that CAC would not reapply another Gold sticker.

Obviously, the heavy peripheral toning, especially on the reverse, bothers you significantly regarding its eye appeal (as it bothers me as well - I’m in the large but silent minority where I prefer my 20th Century silver highly lustrous and blast white). As such, I suggest you pass on this coin, as it will bother you and drive you nuts as long as you own it.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996