Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2023 women's quarters three role sets

Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

On Valentine's Day, February 14, the Bessie Coleman quarters are being offered by the mint. I believe that the mintage of these sets will be somewhere in the neighborhood of a total of 500,000 S minted coins In 2022 there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 300,000 S minted coins . I suspect the increased mintage will, to some degree, lessen the hype over this series. Also, I understand that the subscriptions for these is no longer available. Does that portend the mint cutting existing subscriptions of three to something less such as two or one three role sets.

I don't know whether or not the price will be increased from last year's price or not.

Of course, P and D mintages will be much greater. Also, the S mint version will be issued in one or more proof set versions, both clad and silver.

I see the Bessie Coleman three roll sets are presently being offered on eBay presale for between $120-$189, some with free postage, some with postage extra.

I would appreciate others' thoughts on this series. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am waiting to see what the mintage difference will do to demand/price. There could be carry over from last years demand at least for the first couple releases.

As for mintages, these are it for the S mint UNCs. These are MS strike quarters, not Proof strike quarters. These will not be available in proof sets or even the annual Uncirculated P&D sets. So 500k is the mintage and why the demand was so high for these "PDS" roll sets last year.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 491 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am down for one three roll set on subscription. If I am buying these for investment, I am in the wrong place. I buy them for collecting, which means I need more space.

• Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

@erscolo said:
    I am down for one three roll set on subscription. If I am buying these for investment, I am in the wrong place. I buy them for collecting, which means I need more space.

HAHA Im with you on that, Im doing the samething.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half a million coins that will never be circulated will be half a million coins in 100 years. Too many to be worth paying that kind of money for.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Half a million coins that will never be circulated will be half a million coins in 100 years. Too many to be worth paying that kind of money for.

Good point. Probably most of the S minted quarters will not be circulated.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started notification on enrollment orders. Noticed my one 3- roll set is processing. Nice surprise, forgot about free shipping with enrollments.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    ‘’I would appreciate others' thoughts on this series. Thanks.’’

I was a HUGE buyer of the 2022 Woman Quarter (3-roll set) coins in my pursuit of S mint coins grading in the “holy grail” grade of PCGS-MS68. And, many of you here dumped (I mean shipped, Lol) your 3-roll sets to me at enormous profits. And, I thank you. But, just one (very big) problem - for all (5) Woman quarters combined PCGS graded exactly 0 S mint coins for me and my team in total in the grade of MS68!! Resulting, at the moment, in a very sizable Loss for my 2022 project of grading the very finest incredibly low mintage quarters in MS68. Instead, I ended up with hundreds of S mint graded woman quarters in the MS66 and MS67 grade I literally can’t find a buyer for at as little as $15-$20/coin for many of the MS66 coins.

And, last I looked, PCGS had graded exactly 0 of the S mint coins in MS68 (for any Woman) for anyone else in the world either, although I must confess I stopped looking at the PCGS pop reports on these many moons ago. One day, someday, PCGS will feel comfortable grading 2022 S mint Woman quarters in MS68 and I can “dust off” the finest coins in my massive herd for PCGS to look at again. Until that day comes, I look to recoup my better part of $100,000.00 out of pocket investment in these first year coins by continuing to sell off the raw rolls of S mint coins in grades of gem and under (that were not graded), occasional sales of the MS66 and MS67 coins that are less likely to upgrade to MS68 one day and cashing out many/most of the P and D rolls at my local bank for face value (and selling an occasional P or D slabbed coin as well, although the Mint Set coins killed these). Awaiting the day - likely years and years in the future- when my spectacular MS67 specimens of these 2022 S Woman quarters are finally deemed MS68! No different than the 20-25 years many of us just waited for PCGS to grade the first MS Clad Ike Dollar that just happened and I suspect the “floodgates” have now (finally) opened for those as well.

As always just my 2 cents. And, I hope this brings into perspective what it typically takes to produce the best of the best business Strike moderns. Although anyone can get lucky, buy a single S Woman quarter in a 2x2 flip at their local coin show and slab the first PCGS-MS68 example!

Wondercoin

There are 13 S-Mint MS68s currently showing in the population report.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 491 ✭✭✭✭✭

At a cost of two times face value, these rolls are not a money making vehicle, at least in the long run. I purchase one three roll set through subscription, and that is it. The 11.1% increase in price from $54 to $60 only adds to the impossibility that these will be money makers once the novelty wears off.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

My subscription got me 3 of the 3 roll sets of Bessies are on the way! ...Posted it yesterday when I saw the charge go through.

I plan on keeping one set, and searching it for high grade beauties.
    I'll sell the other 2 sets and start the bidding at $50 or so...I'm guessing they'll go for close to $200 each.
    Or maybe I'll only sell one set lol :blush:

I'm hooked...I've managed to snag a bunch of rolls of all the Women's Quarters :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 13 S-Mint MS68s currently showing in the population report.

IT HAS BEGUN!!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

So in other words your trying to tell me not to buy any of these right now because there will be a lot more of these available at much cheaper prices in the near future.

• Options

Cheaper than issue price? No way 😁

• Options

Just noticed the increased price to $60. Increased price and increased mintage. These aren't silver, what is the reason for the substantial price increase? I think last years hype will keep demand up for these first ones but I wonder if these will be as desirable come the end of the year.

• Options

Increased price? inflation? Greed? Your pick.

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

The Bessie Coleman’s are available for purchase again.

• Options

Unavailable for now, less than 30 minutes.

• Options

I missed the start time so wasn't able to watch the show. But if these lasted close to 30 minutes that is nothing like the 30 seconds they went unavailable last year. Sure not much talk about them here for just being released in the last hour.

• Options
    NickelMikeNickelMike Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:

Agreed. These will be worth face many many years from now. Collect if you enjoy, but I don’t see it making you any money.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin - where are you selling your MS67 S mint AWQ’s? I keep a fairly close eye on eBay for them and I have never seen any offered under your handle. There are two dealers that probably make 75% of the examples sold on the Bay.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

My son Justin handles nearly all my sales.

Monstercoinmart handle

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    My son Justin handles nearly all my sales.

Monstercoinmart handle

Wondercoin

Thanks - he is one of the two I was thinking of.

Hope it picks up - personally, I am really enjoying the series. After the first three AWQs, I gave up on trying to make a 67 or 68 and just buy them off eBay now.

• Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Got my tracking number.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<>

Ditto...my first 2023 three-roil quarter set also shipped today.

• Options
    edited February 14, 2023 4:28PM

@erscolo said:
    At a cost of two times face value, these rolls are not a money making vehicle, at least in the long run. I purchase one three roll set through subscription, and that is it. The 11.1% increase in price from $54 to $60 only adds to the impossibility that these will be money makers once the novelty wears off.

Perhaps. $20 a roll is not bad. Uncirculated , 40 S quarters will always will always sell for $5 or more, each. That’s profit 😁

• Options

My enrollment shipped. Tracking number issued. The race for first pictures posted, has begun 🏁

• Options

I see the other three P & D options are available, did those ever go dark? Did anyone play the early morning game this morning? We'll have to see if the 3 HHL remains or disappears in an hour.

• Options

Limit lifted 😁

• Options

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

I think the enrollments is the best thing the USM has done. I can get most of the coins I want (including the AWQ) and just sit back and relax on release day. I signed up for several of the enrollments. Quick and painless way to get the coins.

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

3 PDS sets arrived this morning, ups overnight

• Options

My 1 PDS set is being shipped today (via Pony Express, I believe).

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

Great thread -- I had been wondering what all the fuss was about last year. I see that I can still order bags and 2-roll sets. Should I bother with the intent to possibly find some worth grading -- or is all the fun in the S-mint coin? And, do people find uber-gems in the bags ever, or is time only worth spending on rolls?

• Options

@planetsteve said:
    Great thread -- I had been wondering what all the fuss was about last year. I see that I can still order bags and 2-roll sets. Should I bother with the intent to possibly find some worth grading -- or is all the fun in the S-mint coin? And, do people find uber-gems in the bags ever, or is time only worth spending on rolls?

IMO, I would stick with the rolls. While you may find some really good ones in the bag, you need to remember that those coins bang and rub up against each other and create bag marks.

• Options

@mas3387 said:

DID YOU SELECT EXPRESS SHIPPING?

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:
    I think the enrollments is the best thing the USM has done. I can get most of the coins I want (including the AWQ) and just sit back and relax on release day. I signed up for several of the enrollments. Quick and painless way to get the coins.

AGREED!!!! This, plus the low initial household limits, allow collectors to get what they want while limiting the impact of bots.

• Options

@mas3387 said:

Pictures please. You will be first for bragging rights

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@planetsteve said:

It's all about the S-mint coins, since this is the only place they are available. The fuss was about lower mintages and no initial subscription limits, which led to very limited availability once they were released, even after the mint cut subscriptions back. Almost doubling the mintage while significantly reducing subscription limits basically led to everyone who wanted them being able to subscribe.

As for the bags, in the past, it was far more efficient to pull uber-gems from uncirculated sets. This year, the website says these are "circulating quality" as opposed to "uncirculated" in years past. If that actually means anything, that could change the game.

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

My three sets shipped this morning and I was up at 630 am and was surprised I did not see any of the three rolls come up. Would really be surprised with the increase in mintage that there sold out.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2023 2:30PM

Remind me or currently unavailable usually means getting up every morning and fishing. There’s coins from last year I’m chasing every morning. Been months and they have appeared once. Was able to stash 2 in my cart , draw them up each morning and wait. Either I’ll miss em or get em, until the sold out sign is hung up, there’s a chance. 😁🙀

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@Glen2022 said:

@mas3387 said:

DID YOU SELECT EXPRESS SHIPPING?

Yes for this order we did.

• Options

quite a few BIN listings on eBay for the Coleman quarter three role sets ranging from about $95 to as much as $150. Some with free shipping, some not. some also being auctioned, but did not see any completed auctions.

The Wong three role sets are also being advertised quite a bit on eBay and those prices $300. Don't know why someone would buy one of these when there also being advertised for around $125. Price does seem to be going up on the Wong quarters.

• Options

These and two more sold today for $99.......

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭

@Glen2022 said:
    quite a few BIN listings on eBay for the Coleman quarter three role sets ranging from about $95 to as much as $150. Some with free shipping, some not. some also being auctioned, but did not see any completed auctions.

The Wong three role sets are also being advertised quite a bit on eBay and those prices $300. Don't know why someone would buy one of these when there also being advertised for around $125. Price does seem to be going up on the Wong quarters.

I'm noticing all the 2022 slowly rising. The earlier in 2022 the better.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't spill your coffee....it's time to check again!!!! Any action???

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nada. All's quiet on the mintage front.

• Options

Moving right along. My wee enrollment 😁👶🙀🦫
    Agree, very quiet this morning 🎣

• Options

:'(

• Options

The 3-roll set boxes on Ebay look different from previous years.
    Do these have the plastic trays?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file