Home U.S. Coin Forum

1970 Mint set--Small date

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was researching this at a shop yesterday, kind of hard to see.

Looks like these are getting more in demand than the last GS I have:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1970+MINT+SET++SMALL+DATE&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=06840-5935&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=240&LH_Complete=1

As a newbie to the 1970 sets and the 1970-d Kennedy, I didn't realize that it was 40% silver. It seems to be tough to find the 40% Kennedys in grades at gem and higher.

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to be very careful with these. About 80% of the sm dts clean up just fine but only 80% were what might be called chBU when they left the mint. When you buy a set it will usually be tarnished and after it is cleaned there is only about 2 chances out of 3 that you'll have a nice chBU cent. The half dollars are a little worse with only 70% cleaning up nice though 80% were nice enough when made.

It's best to see these sets before buying. You aren't going to find a pristine '70 mint set any longer. Most of the coins or all of the coins will be hazed or tarnished.

The sm dt accounts for about 10% of production and is rarely seen now days in groupings of raw sets. Most 1970 sets were destroyed even before the coins started tarnishing 25 years ago.

Tempus fugit.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know little about these. How would this do?

Sorry, not from a set.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Sorry, not from a set.

It appears to be from a set but this doesn't mean it is.

The current wholesale for chBU is $65 and this one would probably be plenty good enough with a soak in acetone. It appears to be a nice solid MS-64 under the haze. It looks better than 60% of the mint set coins as issued.

Unless you got it in circulation or from a roll I believe it is a mint set coin that was cut out.

Tempus fugit.

@cladking said:

@Smudge said:
    Sorry, not from a set.

It appears to be from a set but this doesn't mean it is.

The current wholesale for chBU is $65 and this one would probably be plenty good enough with a soak in acetone. It appears to be a nice solid MS-64 under the haze. It looks better than 60% of the mint set coins as issued.

Unless you got it in circulation or from a roll I believe it is a mint set coin that was cut out.

Pulled from circulation when I was a kid.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the feedback. I asked the shop to hold it for me, still in the mint set. 1/6 we looked at.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file