Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What to do with 1980's "extras"... Pics Added

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2, 2023 12:33PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Not too long ago I put together binders of the SF Giants from '80-'89. I've been a lifelong fan of them and the '80's were my formative years where baseball became a part of my life. Many fond memories of these cards from my childhood. I put these sets together by sourcing the cards I needed from complete boxes. The secondary end result of this project is I've got a massive amount of non-SFG baseball cards that I don't need/want.

Would any of you be able to help with identifying which (if any) of these non-SFG cards may have enough value to warrant selling individually? Or would the best move be selling the box sets as-is, complete...minus the Giants? Perhaps the sets, now not complete, aren't even worth the effort to sell and are best just being given away to someone who can give them a good home?

Any thoughts and insights would be appreciated.

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Massive amount" of cards from 1980-89?

MANY great cards in those years. Rookies of Gwynn, Boggs, Puckett, Sandberg etc. Many Nolan Ryan cards during these years are also worth money.

If I had what you describe, I would go through them, picking out the rookies and HOF players to grade/sell and donate the remainder or simply throw away.

Then go through the remaining cards and sort for condition. Check Ebay's "sold items" to see what the card in question is selling for. Send in the best for grading.

If you don't want to do this, send them to me, I will pay shipping, and I'll have fun.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2023 10:28AM

@JoeBanzai said:
    "Massive amount" of cards from 1980-89?

Is there a resource online that identifies which rookies, HOF'ers and other random cards would be potentially valuable enough to pull?

The sets I have to search are full box sets of Topps, Fleer and Donruss for each year in the 80's. Plus assorted small box subsets throughout the decade.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

I would just search ebay. If you are looking at 1985 topps, just search that on ebay and it will give you an idea of which cards are worth looking at.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2023 11:27AM

A few quick hitters to look for in each year:
    1980 Rickey Henderson is best card of the decade.
    1982 Cal Ripken both regular and Traded set.
    1983 Boggs, Gwynn, Sandberg in all three sets.
    1984 Mattingly in all three sets but Donruss is best.
    1984 Fleer update is the best set of the decade. Clemens, Puckett, and Gooden.
    1985 Clemens and Puckett. McGwire for Topps still has good value.
    1986 Update sets with Bonds
    1987 Donruss Bonds and Maddux.
    1989 Griffey Upper Deck well worth selling.

Some of those can be quite valuable if in high grade.

Sweet, thanks guys.

Ok, did a bit of looking around and then searched through the Topps '86 sets. Got these that look like they may have some value potential. Do any come to mind that I missed/skipped?

Is this website a reliable/accurate source for identifying card values for cards graded 10?

https://sportscardspro.com/console/baseball-cards-1986-donruss

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:
    Ok, did a bit of looking around and then searched through the Topps '86 sets. Got these that look like they may have some value potential. Do any come to mind that I missed/skipped?

Love the 86 Topps and 86 TT. The value of your lot as pictured is around $10.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
    edited February 2, 2023 3:09PM

The value of your lot as pictured is around $10.

Right, I get that, based off the fact that they're raw (is raw the right word? It's what we use in the coin forum for unslabbed coins). My question is are these the right 86 Topps cards to be of value if they were PSA graded as 10 (or even 9?). Or would these cards not have any real value even if in high grade PSA plastic?

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2023 6:14PM

@Cladiator said:

The value of your lot as pictured is around $10.

Right, I get that, based off the fact that they're raw (is raw the right word? It's what we use in the coin forum for unslabbed coins). My question is are these the right 86 Topps cards to be of value if they were PSA graded as 10 (or even 9?). Or would these cards not have any real value even if in high grade PSA plastic?

If I recall correctly, the Sandberg is key. The most key card of the decade is the '81 Topps Scioscia (Valenzuela). If you have that in 10 it would likely go for five figures (you almost certainly don't). The Glenn Adams goes for ~$150 even in 9.

The conditional rarities dry up quickly as the decade progresses. Pages like this are very helpful:

https://psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1986-topps/ryne-sandberg/summary/202189