Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1991-92 Skybox Basketball Question

I just picked up a basketball collection from a guy today and one of the cards was #408 Chicago Bulls/Michael Jordan Game Frame. Which oddly to me, I didnt own in my huge Jordan collection in the first place. But even more odd to me is the card has a SUPER high gloss finish on the front.

I did a quick look on eBay and either couldn't tell or they were just the regular skybox. I've never seen a 91-92 Skybox card with a high glossy finish. Did they make some cards with super high gloss finish or maybe (since I never owned this card) the Game Frame were?

Thanks

Michael Jordan collector of cards and memorabilia for about 30 years.

Comments

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I’m not sure, but I’m going to go through the 150k 91-92 Skybox I have now :)

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    JordanCollectorJordanCollector Posts: 33
    edited January 25, 2023 3:54PM

Anyone?> @nendee said:

I’m not sure, but I’m going to go through the 150k 91-92 Skybox I have now :)

Thank you. It kinda sucks because this glossy card itself is damaged but let me know if you find anything.

Maybe I can upload a photo of the card later.

• Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

Yes, those subset cards are glossier. I do not know why but have observed it since the product released.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options

@junkwaxgems said:
    Yes, those subset cards are glossier. I do not know why but have observed it since the product released.

I messaged a few folks selling their #408 cards on ebay right now. And all 3 of them said that the finish on the front was not a high gloss but like the regular cards were.

• Options

@JordanCollector said:

@junkwaxgems said:

I messaged a few folks selling their #408 cards on ebay right now. And all 3 of them said that the finish on the front was not a high gloss but like the regular cards were.

They have always stuck out as glossier than the other 1991-92 Skybox cards. I've been aware of it since the product came out. Maybe gloss-less versions are print flaws like a misstep, akin to missing foil cards today.

• Options
    JordanCollectorJordanCollector Posts: 33
    edited January 27, 2023 10:53AM

@junkwaxgems said:

@JordanCollector said:

@junkwaxgems said:

They have always stuck out as glossier than the other 1991-92 Skybox cards. I've been aware of it since the product came out. Maybe gloss-less versions are print flaws like a misstep, akin to missing foil cards today.

Not arguing, Ive messaged numerous folk now on ebay. And the majority of people are saying that the card is gloss-less. No gloss at all.

• Options

@JordanCollector said:

@junkwaxgems said:

@JordanCollector said:

@junkwaxgems said:

Not arguing, Ive messaged numerous folk now on ebay. And the majority of people are saying that the card is gloss-less. No gloss at all.

Either they have no idea what they are talking about/looking for or this is yet another casualty of the Mandela Effect.

• Options

@junkwaxgems said:

@JordanCollector said:

@junkwaxgems said:

@JordanCollector said:

@junkwaxgems said:

Either they have no idea what they are talking about/looking for or this is yet another casualty of the Mandela Effect.

Think i just got an answer. I just went to a card shop where im at right now and asked the owner about this.

He told me that the factory sets of these cards are glossy. Anything other than from the factory sets are the non glossy.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2023 12:28AM

@JordanCollector said:

@junkwaxgems said:

@JordanCollector said:

@junkwaxgems said:

@JordanCollector said:

@junkwaxgems said:

Think i just got an answer. I just went to a card shop where im at right now and asked the owner about this.

He told me that the factory sets of these cards are glossy. Anything other than from the factory sets are the non glossy.

They only had the tin sets, I can confirm the higher coat of gloss comes out of those as well for the game frame subset. They didnt make any other factory sets of this product.

• Options
    bruin805bruin805 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Mine were all glossy and they were all pulled from packs. Bought them back in 1991 when they came out.