Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are restored cards encapsulated?

1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

Do they mark them as such or do they just get authentic grade? I thought I had seen graded cards with the grading company knowing it was restored and it was still encapsulated as authentic with no intent for deception.

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    Do they mark them as such or do they just get authentic grade? I thought I had seen graded cards with the grading company knowing it was restored and it was still encapsulated as authentic with no intent for deception.

Perhaps it depends on the company?? I've never seen it.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you mean will a TPG encapsulate a card they know is restored?
    I have seen cards that were altered in slabs, so I would say yes. They may not label them as "restored" though.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Do you mean will a TPG encapsulate a card they know is restored?
    I have seen cards that were altered in slabs, so I would say yes. They may not label them as "restored" though.

Yes, knowing they are restored. Not fooled or deceived. For an authentic grade.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

PSA will not grade. but SGC will grade as A...(authentic ) If trimmed or retouched. Not sure about restored.

• Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Perhaps “Authentic Altered”

I had a 1952 Topps Willie Mays that was in poor condition with multiple creases. Someone years ago had attempted to fill in the creases with matching colored crayons. I sent it to PSA and it came back altered due to attempted restoration. I called and asked if it could still be encapsulated in a PSA holder and they did so with an “Authentic Altered” label. This was 10-12 years ago so maybe their policy has changed.