Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A vintage postcard of the Holy Land

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

This vintage postcard of Mount Carmel and the bay at Haifa, Israel is an interesting and placid scene.

Dad gave it to me when I had dinner over at their place the other night. He used to work in the Baha’i World Centre in Haifa, so we often give each other assorted bits of Haifa/Palestine/Holy Land-related ephemera.

But this postcard is also an interesting blend of the sacred and the profane. Turning it over, I immediately recognized a very familiar- if rather infamous- portrait on the stamp.

Slightly ironic on a collectible from Israel, wouldn’t you say?

The Nahrung Ist Waffe postal cancellation with the picture of grain ears and a sword translates to “Food Is A Weapon”, I believe.

Given that Germany was a leading producer of color postcards in the early 20th century, I suppose it isn’t really all that surprising to find this one that was mailed to Vienna, which was part of the Third Reich at the time.

I'm curious to know what the message said, but don't read much German and have difficulty reading cursive handwriting in any event.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options

Berlin, November 14, 1943
    Dear parents ! Sending you my dearest greetings from Berlin. We are comfortably together. Letter to follow. Many kisses (Harry.. or Mary)

(top right) Many greetings also from me, Lorenz.

The rest is simply ugly cursive German, which could say.. yo momma was a hamster. or something else.

• Options

Thanks!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

I guess poor Harry wasn’t sitting so comfortably a few years later.