Home Sports Talk

I can't believe we're not talking about this

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, a quarterback almost gets his legs taken off in a gruesome looking play, and you think, he's done for the season. But no, he hobbles back onto the field, on one good leg mind you, because it's the playoffs and his team needs him, and proceeds to lead his guys to victory. In my opinion, his performance was no less than heroic, and ranks right up there with the Curt Schilling bloody sock game, and the Michael Jordan flu game.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's out there on one freaking leg, he don't care, tough as nails!

I would love to see Aaron Rodgers be that tough, I can just imagine how he would've handled something like that.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, Mahomes is a warrior

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

DD I don't remember the year but look up the Byron Leftwich game with Marshall where his linemen were literally carrying the injured Leftwich up to the line of scrimmage every play as he drove them down the field. That one is tops on my list.

@LandrysFedora said:
    DD I don't remember the year but look up the Byron Leftwich game with Marshall where his linemen were literally carrying the injured Leftwich up to the line of scrimmage every play as he drove them down the field. That one is tops on my list.

Definitely legendary, if I'm not mistaken, I believe he had broken his shin and toughed it out. Epic!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jzYMSiNHQ#searching

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing to remember about Leftwich, and by extension Mahomes, is that Marshall lost that game to Akron, the only conference game Akron won the entire season. The desire to come back despite being seriously injured is admirable. Saying "no" is what the head coach is paid to do. It wasn't all that surprising that Mahomes finished the game; ankle injuries hurt right away but aren't debilitating until the next day. If Mahomes ankle was injured as bad as it looked then he shouldn't play, because he will hurt his team if he does.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

@countdouglas said:

Oh Yeah...There's My Guy... B)

Say what you will about Donovan McNabb, but he was one tough son of a gun. I remember when he broke his ankle against the Cardinals, stayed in the game, and threw 4TDs and led the Eagles to a win over the Cardinals, that was one of the gutsiest performances I've ever seen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WExjOJqEAd4

hey DD,
    Yeah Donovan and the rest of us South Side'ers' are Tough as Nails...even look at Butkus another Bad Dude from the South Side... B)
    Some people say it's the slag dust from the steel mills that made us this way... :smiley:

Even when Mr. Phillips calls me, he'll say: "What's happening there South Side" B)

Jack Youngblood played the 1979 playoffs and Super Bowl with a broken freaking leg, he was one tough customer. Notice the John Madden quote about Youngblood on the front of this book.

Let me just slip this meme in here right quick.

@doubledragon said:
    Jack Youngblood played the 1979 playoffs and Super Bowl with a broken freaking leg, he was one tough customer. Notice the John Madden quote about Youngblood on the front of this book.

Jack was a Beast out there...

@GroceryRackPack said:

@doubledragon said:

Jack was a Beast out there...

No doubt about it, one of my all-time favorites!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2023 3:47AM

@dallasactuary said:
    One thing to remember about Leftwich, and by extension Mahomes, is that Marshall lost that game to Akron, the only conference game Akron won the entire season. The desire to come back despite being seriously injured is admirable. Saying "no" is what the head coach is paid to do. It wasn't all that surprising that Mahomes finished the game; ankle injuries hurt right away but aren't debilitating until the next day. If Mahomes ankle was injured as bad as it looked then he shouldn't play, because he will hurt his team if he does.

It's called saving the player from himself and I do agree with you for the most part, in Reeds case I thought it was fair to let Mahomes try a play amother down or two but Reid did the right thing by forcing him to go to the locker room.

I'm the biggest Sox fan but regarding the Schilling bloody sock, it's way overrated