Home Q & A Forum
Options

SMS Submission Question

I have submitted many coins over the years for grading but have never submitted a 1966-1967 SMS set. The question is if I have to break the coins out, putting the coin in to a flip with the associated label, if I only want one of the different denominations graded? I have looked in the submission center for guidance and either missed it or did not connect the dots. The closest I have found is the process to crossover coins from a competing organization like NGC or ANACS?

There is a part of me which thinks that the provenance of the coin would be effected if I did not turn the entire SMS set over in its original government issued case. If I submit the entire SMS set what then happens to the remainder of the SMS set? I am at the moment thinking that this will work like a crossover would work. If that is the case are the other coins just placed back in to flips and returned with the graded coin?

If I have to break the coins out is there a preferred method to undertake that process. I do not want to damage the coins and would like to find the best way to handle that should I be responsible to perform that effort.

Thanks,

JustNonCents

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

SMS is a method of manufacture not a provenance.

Just like the difference between a proof and a business strike, the grading services can tell the difference between a SMS and a business strike in uncirculated condition.

The grading services do not want the SMS plastic government packaging, just coins in flip that you want graded.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    SMS is a method of manufacture not a provenance.

Just like the difference between a proof and a business strike, the grading services can tell the difference between a SMS and a business strike in uncirculated condition.

The grading services do not want the SMS plastic government packaging, just coins in flip that you want graded.

Are they able to tell the SMS coins from business strikes? I'm thinking about submitting some and I was wondering if they just take your word whether they are SMS or not or would you need it to be in the SMS holder to be designated SMS? Some of the coins are CAM/DCAM so those may be obvious but one or two are not.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, but occasionally they make an error.